586,414 active members*
2,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad Build 1482 Fixes and Enhancements

BobCad Build 1482 Fixes and Enhancements

I was looking at the release notes for Build 1482 and noticed ALL but 2 bullet points are fixes rather than enhancements for the General / CAD/ Mill sections. Many are fixes which involve crashes. Why are these not available to people that don't pay for support? I was under the impression that enhancements would not be available (understandable) but fixes that involved crashes would???
    Since I don't make money with BobCad, I don't need the support but I would like a stable program that does what is advertised. I guess there is no need for me to ever upgrade until the very last build of the current version.

Re: BobCad Build 1482 Fixes and Enhancements

I agree. It would be one thing if there was a new updated release of a version on a regular basis, like monthly where bug fixes are addressed as immediately as possible. In that case, I can see that there is some value given to those who have a subscription and perhaps non-subscribers should only get the most stable release every six months (or something to that effect). But when you only release two updates over the life cycle of the application that mostly address bugs that should not be there to begin with, it seems a bit like nickle and diming to require customers to pay for that. The first bug fix shouldn't count in V26 as it was released days after the intitial software release happened and everyone here very quickly found some significant bugs, so while they show three releases in V26, the reality is that it was two. Again, if there were monthly updates to the software, I'd feel like there is a reason to have the support subscription, but since I don't need support for anything else, getting two bug fixes (one every six months) just does not seem like a good value and would not make me feel good about it as a customer. Paid support should be much more responsive than that or it should be free.

Buy a product/ Help then find the problems/ take your time to let them know the problem/ they fix the problem/ YOU PAY whats the PROBLEM.

moved down out of advertisement

I am sure there are lovers here that will disagree...
    It is this kind of tactic that sours me on Bobcad. As you point out, 95% of the update is bug fixes. Meaning they "fixed" what they already sold you. Now they want to charge you again.
    Other companies stand by their product and supply corrective action for mistakes. Bob used the lawyer strategy... Combine fixes with updated features, and make it the consumers fault that the product doesn't work as promised/advertised/sold.
    An honest company would have the courage to separate the two. Instead, Bob not only deprives you of fixing their mistakes, they drop the version entirely (thus determining you are obsolete and insignificant).

I use Bob only for minor projects. I cannot afford the time trying to work around a defective product. As policy stands, I would never recommend the product. They have failed too many times to correct issues (the forum is full of uncorrected flaws). It is unacceptable to screw clients out of promised function, while chasing new suckers.

I was lucky enough to jump in and buy a relatively mature V25, the last version where updates were freely available, and I'm still pretty happy with what V25 Build 996 does for me, the transition to the new support model wasn't well managed or well advertised and the cutoff of bug fixes at the end of the free support period did surprise and upset quite a lot of people.
    I think we're now in a transition period where the old "Race To Release" of the new version is still King, I'm still going to have a look at V27 to see what it has to offer though, but only once it's relatively mature,

Nick