586,404 active members*
2,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Who is upgrading to V27 and why?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Who is upgrading to V27 and why?

Thanks. I did talk to BobCAM guys today and they think it might actually be a bug. I've attached a very simple file - its a cube. This is an extrusion from a square but I also tried a "solid" cube in Rhino. It is zipped so I could upload it.

I do know a bit about the internals of Rhino files. The test files I downloaded were not mesh data. All of these files and my files (including the attached) import into VisualCAM with no problems (the standalone version not the Rhino plug in).

I also typically select the 3D geometry and export that rather than the entire file just to make sure any artifacts are to exported.

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    Thanks. I did talk to BobCAM guys today and they think it might actually be a bug. I do know a bit about the internals of Rhino files. The test files I downloaded were not mesh data. cheers,
    Michael
    Yes, I get the same results.... Thanks for posting the sample to look at...

As an added note, the Rhino 5 saved files wont open in any version of bbcd now. they'll need to look at their importer...

This may be a result of Rhino 5's new updating system.. The new files saved, built with different toolkits and versioning etc...

The correction for now will be to save in the version 4, which is essentially the same as using a different format, like step, but if you need the 3dm, like saving your files with "all the rhino stuff", you can still get a 3dm... I think you'll look at loosing saved stuff like "custom gumballs" and new features that wont save and transfer in the older format.... But that will be better for some than using a generic "dummy" export....

Surprising that no one has discovered this given the number of Rhino and BobCAM users there seem to be. BobCAD-CAM engineers are aware of the issue so maybe they'll have a fix soon.

Well, that's it! I saved as version 4 and my parts are opening in BobCAM now. I don't really take advantage of custom gum balls, etc so the version 4 format is probably fine. Or export to STEP. It really doesn't add that much to my workflow, it's more a file management issue. I'll pass this info on to them.

thanks,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    Surprising that no one has discovered this given the number of Rhino and BobCAM users there seem to be.

thanks,
    Michael
    Hard to say. When you install rhino5 now you also install a new mcneel update service... i think changes can happen to your install now through this... writing out 3dm files from the "newest openurbs toolkit"... (i havnt compiled a new toolkit in something like 2 years... but im not doing cutting edge either)

I think the devs will be looking at whats causing it and a possible new opennurbs dll, but also have to change some implementation code in bc. Not sure. Im not sure if they are relying on integrityware for it either, which may mean a wait on them....

but when it stopped working? Hard to tell. It may have happened just last week...

Well I got the call from sales today. We came to an agreement on the price to upgrade me and I pulled the trigger. I made the purchase for the 3d Connexion support and to stay current. Gonna have to give it a try this weekend, I usually don't buy software without a demo first so I hope I am happy.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

you will like it alot...very powerful software V27 is....
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

I upgraded from v26 to v27 last month. Since then I've had nothing but problems. V27 freezes and crashes a lot. A lot! I've also had two instances where I've been able to show the bobcad techs problems that they have no answer for. The first has supposedly been given to their R&D folks to research. The most recent problem I've had involves an auto centering tool I built. I kept getting an error in Mach 3 when I loaded the g-code. In it I had to cut a circle in acrylic with a 1/16 router bit. To avoid melting the acrylic sheet or breaking the tiny bit, I stepped the depth down in 4 stages of cutting on that circle. That's very easy to in bobcad. The problem is that when I loaded that g-code file up on Mach 3, I got a wicked error message saying"radius to end of arc differs from radius to start line 23". I even stripped that circle out of the cad-tree and built it again in a separate isolated file. The error stilled happened. The bobcad tech couldn't explain what I'm doing wrong. However when I create the same exact thing in v26 it runs and cuts just dandy. A 1.12 inch arc .11 inches deep folks. If I can't do that, I can't keep going with v27.

Tech support has been seriously overwhelmed and a real pain to get ahold of since the new release too. That tells me I'm not the only person with problems. Many times me call rolls over to their answering machine. Add a 3 hour time difference (Florida for them, California for me) and about the time I remember to call them, they're going home....and then we play phone tag. I always lose playing phone tag with them because they call back the next day early, get no answer then close out the problem ticket. Then I have to start over. All around bad experience for me.

I've about had it with v27 for a while. There is nothing magical in the new version that I absolutely need. I think the only reason I bought it was because I got a phone call from my bobcad sales rep and he really pumped the sunshine. I put in a refund request today and will just go back and use v26 until bobcad gets the bugs fixed. The sad thing is all the projects I've created in v27 over the past month cannot be opened in v26. So I'm busy re-saving as many as possible in .dxf. I lose the stock and machining but at least save the designs.

Don't get me wrong, v26 is a sincerely solid piece of software. But I learned the hard way years ago never to upgrade Microsoft Windows right away when a new version comes out. I think the same thing could apply here.

Well,you came to the right place if you want help with your problems.
    Complaining not so much.
    How about letting the forum try helping?

i agree.....as for my install have had no issue such as crash ect.... BUT i did make sure computer was all tidy with driver upgrades ect...very important...

I have the $350 support plan and they have been johhny on the spot with my calls when i had questions......so i can't complain

as for 27 not being better..oh well not even going to argue...we all know better i have v25,v26 and v27 on all 3 computers and all work fine...but i use v27 by choice unless i have to mod a older file...hardly never use v26....will one day cause the lathe package is on that version
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Thanks for the offer jrmach. Like I said, I've already worked with bobcad and then submitted my refund request. So I'm done with v27 until a midlife update as someone else called it. As far as complaining, I was just relaying my v27 experience for others that are thinking about jumping in that pool. But feel free to jump in the pool or read my experience as a complaint.

Page 2 of 2 12