586,180 active members*
3,046 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Shoptask 1720 gold three phase conversion

Shoptask 1720 gold three phase conversion

I am getting ready to order two three phase motors and VFDS for my shoptask and would appricate your help. I am going to order one hp 1700 rpm with .875 shaft. I am not sure what mounting I need to spec. I am planning on using Teco N3 or FM50 vfd. Anyone have any thoughts on where to purchase? Is there anything else I need to specify when Ordering? Is there a specific motor that would be best?
    Thank you for your help!
    Tgorsuch

Re: Shoptask 1720 gold three phase conversion

There are lots of options out there if you are willing to sort through the combinations etc. Shoptask has a ready made kit as well.
    ST 111 VFD upgrade for all machines 1990-2009 - SHOPMASTER

Thanks Smallblock, they don't seem to give you much info on what's in the kit other than two motors and a controller. I like to build things diy. I just need o know if I am getting the right motor as there are so many different motors. I am thinking a general purpose 3 phase, I don't think capacitor start, the mounting I am unsure about but I guess I will figure it out .
    Thanks terry

Terry,
    The Shoptask set has all that stuff figured out for you and is also designed so that you can integrate the CNC with it for mach 3 control of spindles and do threading, tapping etc. For the DIY guys, you can find motors, switches, contactors etc at Surplus Center, and inverters on E-bay- you just need to match them for Delta or Star configuration as well as rpm and HP. Mounting frame and shaft size will vary.

Thanks again small block, I went to the web site and it does look good would be a lot quicker and easer. I didn't find a lot of info. I did a lot of searching would like to hear form someone who has used this upgrade and maybe see some pictures.
    Terry

What do you mean with matching either delta or star? It has been mentioned in anything I have seen or read?
    Terry

Delta and Star are 2 different ways that the motors are wound. In general, the Star configuration draws less current at startup, while Delta offers a broader range of torque throughout the rpm range. It's more complex than that, but that's my understanding in a nutshell. Shopmaster uses the Delta configuration on their machines. Here is a link that gives more details.
    IET Forums - Delta vs Star