586,140 active members*
5,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Table stuck at CS

Hi all,

My machine is a 1992 VMC40 and has sat for 9 months to a year. When I started it this morning everything worked except the X axis(servo amp faults), it would not move. After concluding problem not electrical, I pulled motor off and it spun freely, also no faults while jogging. Ball screw would not turn, so I disconnected ball nut from the adapter, and the screw will turn. Table seems to be sized, and will not move. Is it possible for the table to rust in place? Have hit it with dead blow, won’t budge. Hooked a chain from my 4020 to the 40’s table and cautiously tried to move it, did not budge. Any help would be appreciated.

Rusty

Loosen your table straps, and back off the gibs a turn or two. There are (4) table straps. Look under the table in the front, and back. The gib adjustment screws are in the front of the table (closest to the door) and are reached from the side with the x axis covers removed. They are going to be hard to get to due to years of chips. Remember when loosening the gib screws that clockwise loosens the gib, and ccw tightens it.

Re: Table stuck at CS

If the 92 VMC40 is a boxed way machine, i.e. not linear guides, if you can, once your gibs are loose try to pump way oil into the passages for the table only. This should help free and move things or confirm if any passages are gummed up, blocked, or broken,

Thanks for the replies guys, will try them next week if I can, just got slammed with work. Yes machine is box ways.

Do like said above.
    The strangest part is that these machines are turcite lined, therefore cannot "rust" frozen.
    You may need rebuild in a big way
    Probably need your oil injectors replaced as well
    www.integratedmechanical.ca