586,471 active members*
3,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > 2D Contouring Features SC 7 vs SC 8.2

2D Contouring Features SC 7 vs SC 8.2

I have been using SC 7 and have finally gotten around to trying SC 8.2

In SC 7 when I used 2D Contouring Machining - under "Lead In/Lead Out" I was able to specify various methods of leads in the XY plane such as Arc (with angle and radius parameters). I do not see these options in SC 8.2. All I see is are leads in the Z direction such as "Plunge on Lead In".

Also, In SC 7 when I listed the properties of the curve I was able to specify direction such as "Right/Left" & "Right Inverse/Left Inverse" to specify direction of cut and whether the tool was on the outside or inside of the curve. In addition, I was able to select "Offset Output" or "Contour Output" to select if the path was offset for the cutter radius or the center of the tool followed the curve. I do not see these options in SC 8.2. Am I looting in the wrong place or are all of these features gone?

Re: 2D Contouring Features SC 7 vs SC 8.2

Lead in and lead out I use are attached to the tool handles little yellow lines on each side of circle
    With the job zone tab active activates those little lines then you can drag the lead in and out "those little lines to desired position."
    And right and left is highlighted in yellow in the job zone tab and you click on those to change.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2dcontour500.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	245922

more then one way to do this! this is easy and fast for me

hope this helps
    md

Hey, that's pretty cool. I never would have thought that it is now done graphically but I like the way it works. There are times when I want to start the cut at a hole or other location so the graphical method does make it easier than the trial and error process of changing parameter values in SC 7. Will take some getting used to though.

So far I have found several other features that I prefer in 8.2

Thanks so much for your help!

I want 8.2
    I have 8.1 or that's what the splash screen says at startup.
    md

In my "Help/About" menu it says Version 8 (build 2.0 ... 06/06/2014)

Got it from a link Tormach sent me!

I have mixed feelings about the way lead in/out is done on 2D contouring... I like that we can do it graphically, but when I want to copy paste my operations and change them for diff tool or area, I do wish the same leed in/out would stay but you have to redo... having parameters would always guarantee that this does not reset its self and reproduces when I copy/paste

I find all kinds of operations are like that!
    When it comes to any copy operation I find missing data at times also.

You want to keep a eye on lead in and out if you use fixtures in cam model and rely on sprutcam to avoid them.
    From what I see it wont or it will try to avoid fixture but use that same lead in/out and this can cause problems.
    md

I want to jump on sc9 when its out I hope to see fixes, don't get me wrong sc8 is great but something's I wish we had option to do it both ways like sc7 ran, now I'm seeing changes not sticking, they simply revert to previous on. This happened to me recently, I made a thickness mistake in model, went into cam and changed each one, some how two out of four reverted to old depth, ended wasting matching and programming time

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk