586,390 active members*
3,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sherline 2000 Mill CNC Conversion / Retrofit Kits available?

Sherline 2000 Mill CNC Conversion / Retrofit Kits available?

Hey guys! I'm just wondering if I want to get into CNC, would it be a huge requirement for me to purchase the motor mount set for my Sherline 2000? I notice that it also includes a new leadscrew for the Z-axis. I just don't want to spend another $250 or so before blowing another 500-700 for the motors, controller, software. If I had a choice for other custom made ones and are better than the Sherline CNC specific model kits, then that would be great as I can save a bit. I do see some Sherline mills that are pictured with "other" or are they custom made stepper motor mounts attached to it. Did they order the new Z-Axis leadscrew or can I keep my old one if I don't go Sherline's route? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Cal

Re: Sherline 2000 Mill CNC Conversion / Retrofit Kits available?

I don't know of anyplace besides Sherline that sells Sherline motor mounts, although I suppose you could make your own. I doubt they'd come out better, though. There's probably a good reason they include the new Z axis screw with that kit, but you can try using your old one and see how it goes. In general, the 2000 mill isn't a great candidate for CNC, in my opinion anyway. It has a lot of tilts and swings that are good for odd setups in manual machining, but you wouldn't be using them in CNC mode. All those joints, though, tend to work loose, and compromise rigidity, which is your main concern in CNC milling. You might want to save that as a manual mill, and get a new 5400 CNC, which is better suited to CNC operation.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Sherline makes some great parts and kits. They sell all individually. Mix and match to achieve your desire. 750 to get into CNC is cheap. Well that is, if you actually want to cut something.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Thanks guys! I think the 2000 is too advanced for me as I'm just starting out. Thanks for the input everybody and hope I can get started soon! Take care.

Dont give up.

Thanks for the kind words Fastest1. I've come down to the complete CNC conversion kit which is over $1000 that includes the stepper mounts, controller box, motors, software from Sherline. OR should I get the eBay Gecko white G540 boxes with the much higher torque motors, etc and just get the CNC upgrade kit from sherline which is still cheaper than my first option.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks again!
    Cal

Go the easiest and least expensive route. The Sherline will have limitations and it won't be the steppers in any of the cases. It is a great tool for the learning process. Woods, plastics and some metal (with patience) is doable.

Hi Carl,

Have you looked at A2Z?

They have some conversion parts including motor mounts here;
    http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/category.asp?Cguid={DE6175E7-2B94-4929-B6F2-43EA6D79875B}&Category=Sherline:Accessory

As to stepper motors, you don't need anything larger than 160 oz.in

Cheers,

Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Phomann Peter, I have but they sell everything separately and does not make too much sense if they all add up and probably be the same or even more. I am getting old and want to get it setup as fast and convenient as possible. I have decided to get a gecko g540 controller box too...but motor mounts first of course! Thanks guys it will be quite a journey to this new hobby and a steep learning curve indeed!