586,102 active members*
2,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant Upgrades

One of my reasons to complete my Full enclosure was to increase coolant capacity. I am going to be doing allot of aluminum machining in a fairly deep and narrow pocket. I ran my first part last night, and the chips are really annoying. NEED MORE COOLANT!!!!
    So, I am looking for solutions. Looks like anything over 1000 GPH will be MORE than enough coolant, but my concern is that my existing coolant tank supplied by tormach can be run down pretty low with the regular tormach pump, during operation (the coolant doesn't make its way back to the tank fast enough)
    Using a larger pump will surely need a larger reservoir. Any suggestions, and leads as to what you guys are using?
    At first I was I was planning on using a submersible Sump Pump. But then thought that using an external pump may be better and will ultimately allow for more coolant capacity.

Portable Utility Pump - Save on this Portable Utility Pump
    This unit looked to be affordable and available at my local harbor bucket.
    Im not married to this pump though, if there is better options out there please let me know

My first idea for a coolant tank is to drill the factory tank on the bottom and put a hose barb i believe the tormach stand has peices of angle iron holding up the stand so if I recall I can gain access to the floor directly) Run a piece of hose out the bottom of the tank and into the bottom of a larger reservoir. (ball valve on the line as well as a QD, and wheels on the bottom of the tank)
    Having an issue though finding a tank that is cost effective. I know a lot of people are using Rubbermaid totes, I was hoping to use something a bit more resilient, but no totally against the idea.

Obviously the top of the external tank will need to be Above the top of the original tormach reservoir. I would like to use steel, but im open to suggestions

Re: Coolant Upgrades

No clear idea on added capacity.
    I would note to get the 1000 gph flow or even 70% of that will take 1" pipe all the way to outlet.
    Any reduction in size, bends, elbows, fittings will reduce the flow gph.
    Something to consider when installing pumps and pipes.
    md

Start dry machining like me

A bigger pump will require a MUCH bigger reservoir. I run 900GPH pumps on my machines, and they require 15 gallon coolant tanks, to keep from running dry, due to the relatively slow return path. I find two 1/4" LocLine nozzles work well for clearing chips from all but very deep pockets. But you MUST have a full enclosure, at least 4 feet high to run that much coolant, or your shop will be knee-deep in coolant within the first 10 minutes.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I posted some time ago about fitting “Streamliner” panels to enclose the base of my 1100. The original intent was to streamline the clean up of the machine. Another huge benefit soon became apparent, the strainer basket stayed free of chips. This of course speeds the return of coolant to the tank keeping it in play rather than building up in the tray. So effective was this that I sealed the basket to the tray, and fitted cloth/paper towels to the drainage gap of the panels to filter out the small chips. May be something to think about whatever way you decide to go.

In another post I described fitting a large coolant level indicator into the front compartment of the stand. Gives coolant level indication and a modest increase in coolant capacity. There are some photos showing a ¾” hose that allows transfer between two tanks. Did contemplate fitting another tank in the form of a 20/25 litre drum at the rear of the machine in a similar fashion. Drum sitting on the floor was the same height as the standard Tormach tank. Just remember to leave the cap off or vent it. This setup has worked well for me, but I don’t generate the mountains of chips I see others produce.

You may like to search for Streamliner and Gargantuan coolant level indicator.
    Hope this helps.
    Greg