586,213 active members*
3,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > v26 simulation time all wrong

v26 simulation time all wrong

i have v26 but the simulation mill time seems to be stuck on 1 hr and some change....

is there something i have missed to get this to read right???
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Re: v26 simulation time all wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chips View Post
    i have v26 but the simulation mill time seems to be stuck on 1 hr and some change....

is there something i have missed to get this to read right???
    Do all of your jobs have a 1 Hour minimum? If so it is working correctly.
    ( sorry couldn't resist )

I looked and I sure can't see any place to set a default or change a setting.

Good Luck
    RAF.

yeap...all have the 1 hour 4 min to 1 hour 14 minutes...feels like i am looking a ta Kodak film developing store at KMART back int the day...LMAO

I just checked to make sure and the answer is no.
    You sure your not on 27,lol

does yours read correct??? on a known part you know? My v25 in within a few mintues...but the V26 des not seem to be correct

V27 will be out in around 12 days...I am excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chips View Post
    does yours read correct??? on a known part you know? My v25 in within a few mintues...but the V26 des not seem to be correct

V27 will be out in around 12 days...I am excited!
    Have you checked your machine settings in BC, if the max rapids in BC don`t match the actual rapids used at the machine then the times won`t match because if for example the max rapids are set to 6000mm/min and the machine is actually doing 10,000mm/min (Sorry about the Metric but you get the idea) then your machine will cut the part faster than the simulation or setup sheet said it would.

Just a thought, I`m pretty sure the data you input for the machine in BC is used to calculate machining times, worth a try for 2 cents worth

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Check these areas in the Machine Definition XML file:

Attachment 248242

They seem to have the greatest effect on cycle times displayed in the Simulation. Mine seems to be far more accurate than what you guys are getting but I'm still way off the times I get with Predator which are pretty well dead-nuts.

i changed my machine info and it got it pretty darn close....thanks for the help guys!

I am going to upgrade to V27 sooooo so long V26

Until "acceleration" is available as a parameter, the simulation will always be off. How much off it is depends on what the toolpaths are like. If they are all long continuous motion paths without hard changes in direction, it will be pretty close. If it's a lot of changes in direction and short distances, it will be off a lot. Let's say that it takes 2mm to go from a stop to the programmed feedrate of 2000mm/min and 2mm to go back to a stop. If you have to make a cut that is 10mm long (straight, curve, whatever), the average speed ( not velocity, which does not account for non-linear motions, but rather delta distance from point to point) is affected by the acceleration and does not meet the feedrate specified. In fact, it would only achieve an average speed of 1400mm/min for that particular portion of the program. The same machine making a cut that is 100mm long would do so at an average speed of 1960mm/min, and as you can guess it would get closer to 2000mm/min the longer the cut is from there, but it can never actually reach it.

Bobcad just appears to calculate the distances at the specified feedrate as if it instantaneously achieves that feedrate. If there are not many start/stop type motions in a program, it's close, but if you have a lot of start/stop motions, it can add up tremendously. I did a job recently that had 4608 cuts at about 40mm long each. It probably takes my machine 10mm of that distance to start/stop each time, then it has to rapid with the same acceleration factor for 15mm to the next cut which adds still more acceleration issues to the rapids time. With all those small cuts, the actual time to run the program was about a third to half again longer than what the simulation showed, which makes sense if 1/4 of the time is spent accelerating or stopping. An acceleration parameter is on my wishlist for future improvements to Bobcad. Until it's there, the simulation time is pretty meaningless to me. The rest of the simulation is great, and I've used it far more than I ever thought I would. I very rarely have a problem that I haven't caught before I leave my desk to start cutting.