586,903 active members*
2,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > High TL-1 Spindle load and chipbreaking issues

High TL-1 Spindle load and chipbreaking issues

Hey all,

I'm having trouble with my TL-1. The spindle load seems unusually high. I've only had this problem the past month or two.

I'm cutting a 6" diameter, 6061 aluminum part, using 1100 RPM and .008" IPR and a .025" DOC. 1700 SFM. I'm getting around 40-50% spindle load and after a while of cutting at that load, things start to smoke from all kinds of places. I've tried all kinds of spindle speeds and feed rates. I can keep the spindle load low but the chips don't break and it hairballs up and I have to stop the machine every few minutes to clear it. The machine noticeably starts to struggle right when it starts to cut. Am I doing something wrong?

The insert I'm using is iscar CNMG432-PP IC8048. I tried another insert and got the same results. I can't find the exact one but this one is pretty much it

Thank you.

Re: High TL-1 Spindle load and chipbreaking issues

No your are not doing anything wrong, the machine simply does not have the power to drive that diameter at the feed and speed you need to get good chip formation and breaking.

Have a look at the G74 and G75 pecking routines in the Manual. I have often used these on a TL-1 and a TL-2 to break chips when turning large diameter 6061.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Re: High TL-1 Spindle load and chipbreaking issues

Try using a high positive insert, likely need a different holder. Will create less heat. You didn't mention coolant - are you using coolant? If not, you might be getting some welding build up on the edge of the insert. The smoke coming off the part might be an indicator of something.......