586,389 active members*
3,039 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Work Fixtures / Hold-Down Solutions > CNC Router Query - Holding the PC Sheet on the table

CNC Router Query - Holding the PC Sheet on the table

Hi, could someone recommend a method of holding firmly, plastic sheets (PC, PVC, Acrylic etc.) of varied thickness ranging from 1 mm to 10 mm to the engraver/router table. There is a clamping system to hold the sheet in place from all sides but it is not sufficient to hold the sheet to the bed firmly while machining. Vacuum I think is out of the question as I need to cut through the material. Toggle Clamps are also out of the question because the entire bed is occupied with the plastic sheet with very little uncut area. Using double tape to stick the sheet is not economical. Without holding the material down the groove depth varies and the cut is not accurate as the spiral flute router bit tends to lift the sheet. As of now I have to follow the router bit path with my hand pressing upon the plastic sheet which is very dangerous. This material lifting off the table is a problem with the thin sheets (1 mm to 3 mm) only so I tried machining two sheets together but to no effect. The lifting problem still exists (mild lifting) and further the plastic melts at the edge of the cut for some reason giving a rough edge. I'm fairly new to this so any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ankush

Re: CNC Router Query - Holding the PC Sheet on the table

A vacuum system pulling through an MDF spoilboard is probably your best option. Cutting through should not be a problem. Also, try using a downcut bit, which should force the sheet down, rather than lift it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ankush

Did you get you problems resolved? if not you can contact me at [email protected].