586,119 active members*
3,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G0704 Spindle noise

I crashed my machine today, not horribly but bad enough. Now I have a knocking sound coming from the spindle. It stills spins ok, but makes a knocking sound. Bearings maybe?

Re: G0704 Spindle noise

Yep, probably flat spotted a bearing.

Could be a bearing.. also could be a gear. If you haven't put a belt drive in it the original drive gear is plastic intended to go before something more serious is damaged in a crash.You could have busted a tooth or something. If you do have a belt drive on it check the belt for a burn spot that can happen if the motor pulley keeps turning when the spindle isn't!

Mines been belt drive for so long I forgot all about the gears. I damage the bearings in my spindle once, it wasn't noticeable when turning by hand, but there was an obvious noise when turning even at low RPM via the spindle motor.

I would suspect the gears. Remove the top green spindle cover and inspect the gear that the motor turns. That one seems to get the most punishment and is easily damaged. I suspect that a tooth or two are missing. Oh, you will also have to remove the motor and top plate. Here is a photo of mine before the belt conversion.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-10-16 16.05.05 (1).jpg