587,066 active members*
3,520 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > 2 Questions reguarding wire cable length & motors.

2 Questions reguarding wire cable length & motors.

This is my first build. It is an all bar, tube, and plate steel 48x48 router table using a full rack and gear drive with (2) 425 oz steppers driving the Y-axis gantry (1) 425 oz stepper driving the X-axis router carriage (1) 355 oz stepper driving the Z-axis. This has been a long slow process, however as the saying goes "haste makes waste" so I am taking the time to do it right the first time.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it necessary or is there any benefits to having all the motor wire cables and limit switch wire cables all the same length?

2. Is it alright to use the 355 oz motor on the Z-axis along with the 425 oz motors driving the X&Y-axises?

Thank you all for sharing your help and knowledge.

Craig

It is not necessary to have all the cables the same length. There may be some practical reasons for doing that, however (for example, if it became necessary to troubleshoot an axis, having the cables the same length might permit swapping one for another more easily, however they could also be swapped at the driver end in which case having identical lengths would not matter).

If the Z axis motor has sufficient torque to do the job, it should be fine.

doorknob,

Thank you for your help and time.

Craig

however as the saying goes "haste makes waste" so I am taking the time to do it right the first time.
    Do you already have the motors and drives?

The 425oz Nema 23 motors are usually not the best choice, as they typically require 80V (or more) for maximum performance.

380oz motors will usually outperform them when used with a Gecko G540 and 48V power supply.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: 2 Questions reguarding wire cable length & motors.

I know this is an old thread but I have follow up question from the OP's question.
    So it doesn't matter the length from driver to motor how about driver to BOB?
    I started with equal length but the wiring looks disorganized. It would look so much cleaner with the wires more or less cut to length.

Thx in advance for the help and hopefully may help another noobie.

Re: 2 Questions reguarding wire cable length & motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Great-Dragon View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I have follow up question from the OP's question.
    So it doesn't matter the length from driver to motor how about driver to BOB?
    I started with equal length but the wiring looks disorganized. It would look so much cleaner with the wires more or less cut to length.

Thx in advance for the help and hopefully may help another noobie.
    Unless for some strange reason your using cable so thin the resistance creates significant losses, which would be extremely unlikely hopefully, just cut all the cables to the size and neatness degree your happy with! It should make no difference at all.

cheers, Ian

EDIT: Actually I thought I should add that in addition to resistance increasing if using long and thin cable, signal integrity can reduce the longer the cable is as well, depending on how the data and power cables are routed. Just something to factor in.
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!