586,485 active members*
2,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Better construction methods for my first machine...

Better construction methods for my first machine...

I have been considering the design of my first machine and what I really need is somewhat heavy horizontal mill.

To this end I have been researching methods of making hybrid epoxy/agregate bases for the machine. From what I understand the mix is basically etched quartz of 2 inch size mixed with epoxy and probably some medium length carbon fiber. What I don't understand is what I need in the way of exact carbon content, whether I need additional small agregate like pebbles or sand.

For the machine I want to use a varnished wood mold to directly mount the dovetails into the base. Or maybe just flat ground ways would work better.

The actual machine should look something like this:

I think it will be able to generate the neccesary force to do steels and other hardish metals. The question is what should I use to mount everything. Linear slides, flats, dovetails. The other is figuring out how to align all of them together. Also I need to figure out a steel reinforcement system. My goal is to be able to do hard turning.

So anyone have any good ideas or stratagies to accomplish this rather agressive design?

Ok here are some other thoughts... is a mill what I really need for a first machine? Maybe I should make some sort of surface grinder so I can make my ways. That might be the best direction to go. The only question is how do I make a precision spindle and keep it true to the table.

I am thinking it's a tall order to build something like that. It may be wise to see if you can find a used mill that you can convert to cnc if that is what you need.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.