586,799 active members*
3,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Daewoo Puma 2500 vs Mori Seki NL2500SY Lathes
Page 1 of 2 12

Daewoo Puma 2500 vs Mori Seki NL2500SY Lathes

Can anyone help me? I am looking for some opinions on these lathes. My shop is looking into buying a new lathe with live tooling, y axis, and a sub spindle. We have a Mori nl2500y in our shop now. It’s working great for us. I don’t know to much about the Daewoo Puma 2500, We have also considered a Okuma. Any opinion would be appreciated

I recommend that get another Mori, it's will save you a lot of headace down the road. First you can share the tool accessories and once the program is work good one machine it have to good on other and less learning curve.......... Daewoo will save you about $6000 but it's doesn't help you in the long run.
    Beside you like the Mori why bother to change.....

We have considered the tooling and that is swaying us towards the Mori. But the savings for the Daewoo is more like $60000.00. That is swaying us back to the Daewoo. Does anyone have an opinion on the Daewoo's reliability?

Think About it

There is s reason the DEEWOOO is 60grand cheaper, Go for the Mori we have 15 Daewoo's here and I can think of nothing good to say about them. I have run Mori's for over 20 years and if it were my cash I would spend it on nothing but a MORI

Bluesman

A Daewoo is not so bad that everyone says, you get alot for the cheap price, but Mori is a bit sharper.If money was not the issue I would go for the mori. (we got both mori s and daewoo s at work)...

Are the Daewoo's reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by frogier
    Are the Daewoo's reliable?

No not at all, For starters if you compare something as simple as the tool change system you will begin to see right there why the Mori is more exspensive.
    A Mori is strictly mechanical once the signal is sent for tool chang it is completed cam drivin even the spindle unclamp. This makes for a much more reliable tool changer. The Daewoo has several switches that run off a cam and give signals for clamp and unclamp and so on. This cycle becomes weak after time and causes tool change faults. In 25 years I have never sean a Mori not complete a tool change. Other than some clown hitting an e-stop in mid cycle.
    But our Makinos and Kitamuras and Deawoos all have ATC cycle problems they sometimes just do not complete. It happends trust me. BUY THE MORI

Bluesman

Lightbulb

You paid for what you get.
    I guess you are the only one know what is your company need, you can't buy a machine base on price, but that's all what your company need, ahhhh it's doesn't hurt. Beware, same thing as when you buy a car you can look at a Huyndai and compare to BMW. What inside of it is what you need(if it was me).
    Ask your Deawoo dealer give you a software list detail, what is it include. I think they leave out a lot of features so the price be more reasonable. I'm not said you should get every option availuable they offer you, but it get quite expensive when you find out you will need it.

The best way to test out the machine is take a part you have in house and use the same program you run in house. Bring a good piece with you, then test cutting on their machine. Don't allow them to twist or change any RPM or feedrate(except M-code not all machine code are same), just cut exact the same way you make part in house, you will see the difference.

"TEST CUT TELL EVERYTHING".
    "TEST CUT TELL EVERYTHING".
    I still want the Mori over Deawoo. (wedge)

Bluesman is correct. I have two Daewoo mills and they both stop in mid cycle
    during toolchanges. I friend of mine also owns one and has the same problem.
    Actually we both had the same problem today. All the machine dealers try do do is look it any direction other then there own.(Retention knob, toolholders, operator, air)

daewooevc,

What machine model do you have?
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Dmv 500
    Dmv 4020

Daewooevc,

I'll see if I can find any tech. bulletins about this type of issue.
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

I want to thank everyone for there imput. This will help me on my decision.

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by daewooevc View Post
    Bluesman is correct. I have two Daewoo mills and they both stop in mid cycle
    during toolchanges. I friend of mine also owns one and has the same problem.
    Actually we both had the same problem today. All the machine dealers try do do is look it any direction other then there own.(Retention knob, toolholders, operator, air)
    You will never get any kind of a response that will indicate you own a substandard system. It is a big secret and no one is soposed to know. IF YOU GOT THE CASH BY THE MORI you will be glad you did in the long run. I was getting the "Its your operator resoponse too" But my cells are all robot loaded so that went down the toilet real fast.

Bluesman

I'll have to agree. Given the choice between the two(assuming money isn't the object) Mori is a much better machine. Bluesman is right, Daewoo lathes do have issues with their turrets and toolchanges. I also know of a shop that had spindle trouble with one of their machining centers. They lost 3 spindles on the same machine in in 4 years. The Mori will also have much better resale value. Daewoo is a good choice as an entry level machine or for a shop that is low volume or does prototype work. But when they go head to head with a Mori or a Nakamura or an Okuma, there is really no comparison. It's like comparing a Haas to a Matsuura

It would seem you have a problem with support in the USA on Daewoo machines. In the UK I worked for the agents for 11 years before going on my own, yes, you do get what you pay for, and yes, the Nakamura, for example is a better machine but the difference is hand built against mass produced. The Daewoo is a good solid workhorse and the turret / ATC issues have been sorted by the UK agents. I have customers with 20 odd Daewoo machines as well as customers with a similar number of Nakamura's. Both swear blind by their machines and stick with the brand. The earlier Daewoo lathes had a problem with the turret motor, it would suddenly start indexing fast in one direction. That is a 2 hour job to fix permantly and really should be a warranty job. The same goes for a turret shaft problem that the earlier ones had. In the UK these problems have been sorted to the point that only service engineers with over 6 years experience will remember them. Get the agents to prove the job on the machines and go from there. The main work I get on both brands is machine crashes from poor operating and servicing, or breakdowns from lack of servicing.
    Alan B

I Personally have 3 Daewoo Puma 2000SY machines. I saved over 60K on each. In three years I have had ZERO service calls. I run 20 hours per day.
    These machines have Integral spindles and chillers so I hold extremely high accuracy. The 180K is in my pocket not in Mori's.
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by cseely View Post
    I Personally have 3 Daewoo Puma 2000SY machines. I saved over 60K on each. In three years I have had ZERO service calls. I run 20 hours per day.
    These machines have Integral spindles and chillers so I hold extremely high accuracy. The 180K is in my pocket not in Mori's.
    Hey we all get lucky some time So what kind of Tool Changer do you have on them 2000SY's?

Bluesman

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    It would seem you have a problem with support in the USA on Daewoo machines. In the UK I worked for the agents for 11 years before going on my own, yes, you do get what you pay for, and yes, the Nakamura, for example is a better machine but the difference is hand built against mass produced. The Daewoo is a good solid workhorse and the turret / ATC issues have been sorted by the UK agents. I have customers with 20 odd Daewoo machines as well as customers with a similar number of Nakamura's. Both swear blind by their machines and stick with the brand. The earlier Daewoo lathes had a problem with the turret motor, it would suddenly start indexing fast in one direction. That is a 2 hour job to fix permantly and really should be a warranty job. The same goes for a turret shaft problem that the earlier ones had. In the UK these problems have been sorted to the point that only service engineers with over 6 years experience will remember them. Get the agents to prove the job on the machines and go from there. The main work I get on both brands is machine crashes from poor operating and servicing, or breakdowns from lack of servicing.
    Alan B
    Quote Originally Posted by cseely View Post
    Glad to read these two posts. I just bought a new 2500 LSY two weeks ago. Just discovered this board 1 week ago. Been waiting for the Daewoo to crash any minute. I did my research before buying, and heard lots of good things about the Daewoo, especially for our type of work. We had it off the truck and on the floor running in less than 2 days (thanks Vinnie and Arthur Machinery) So far it has been producing pretty good. Couple of glithes and learning curve stuff. The SMW bar feeder alarmed out about every 2 hours and finally crapped out completely. This happened on a Friday before Labor day. The SMW rep was there Tuesday morning by 10 AM with a new PLC and fixed the problem. Coolant pump started alarming out for overheating 2 days ago, new pumps arrived today and so did tech. All and all we have gone from 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds, and I am pretty happy at this point.

Maybe I'll get lucky and have a good one. We have a Haas VF4, 3 years old, and no service calls, one warranty call after the first 10 months. It has run and run, and been one of the most productive machines I've ever worked around. But, I have known people in the last 3 years that have had some Haas nightmares.

Alan B, I will be PM'ing you should I have turret problems. LOL

Will the CNC gods smile on me again?

No problem STS. If I can help I will. I'm also quite happy to come over the water if there is enough work to a trip worthwhile. LOL
    Alan B

Page 1 of 2 12