586,444 active members*
3,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC Conversion Help Needed - Harbor Freight Geared Head Mill Drill, Model# 42827

CNC Conversion Help Needed - Harbor Freight Geared Head Mill Drill, Model# 42827

Hi, and thanks for looking. I need help with my cnc conversion. I was able to find someone to help me with the electronics so that is covered. What I need help with is ball screw conversion, and any other tip, tricks, or help I can get. I do have access to a full size mill, lathe, and possibly surface grinder. The brackets and whatnot I might be able to mill at work on a Haas Mini Mill, my boss is really cool and actually more excited about my conversion than I am, so I might be able to kick out a few brackets to help others with this conversion. Vendors, model numbers of parts would really help. I'm using Yaskawa SGM-02B312 & SGD-02BS motors and servopack, I was told the motors are a little under powered for this mill unless I use a 3 to 1 ration, so I might use a 4 to 1 ratio or order different motors and drives, any suggestions would help, vendors and model numbers or links would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Chicago Metro area, so if you are close, or even not, all help would be appreciated. I do have extra electronics, the servo motors, VF drives, and other stuff for trade. Oh, 1 more thing, here is a link to my machines manual: http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...2999/42827.PDF
    Thanks again for any help, Richard.

Re: CNC Conversion Help Needed - Harbor Freight Geared Head Mill Drill, Model# 42827

Did you already buy the mill? A lot of people (myself included) will strongly recommend NOT converting a round column to CNC. I personally feel like it's a waste of time, effort, and money. There are many other mills out there that have a square column.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertCowanDIY

Re: CNC Conversion Help Needed - Harbor Freight Geared Head Mill Drill, Model# 42827

Though the round column does present its own set of challenges, it can and has been done quite well. A search of Youtube and Google will reveal a few nice builds as will threads here on the zone. I would understand the effort for a person with no other tools available but not you. You have access to a Haas mini mill and other commercial equipment? Think big and solid for your conversion. JMO
    A lazy man does it twice.