586,655 active members*
3,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Ok geniuses, where do I find these tools?

Ok geniuses, where do I find these tools?

In an effort to decrease setup times and increase functionality on our CNC lathe, I am looking for a few of the attached tools. The idea is to load them into boring bar holders when the capacity of the standard boring bar holders runs out. A few of these would quickly double (or more) the number of static tools in the turret and allow us to be much more productive, even allowing us to have "preset standards" so we could load all of the tools for a job simply by installing a few of these.

Now for the problem...I don't know what it is or where to find more of them! This unit came out of an old Traub TNM-42 swiss style lathe. It holds two ER-25 collets, which I would prefer to be ER20 or ER32 to match our current collet sets. ER20 would make more sense, since the parts we are making are typically small. The other option is an integrated VDI40 boring bar holder like this,

VDI Boring Bar Holder E2-40-B(1-1/2")x2-65

But the cost of these units is pretty high for what I'm trying to achieve, and I would still need to buy tons of 1-1/2" shank collet holders to be able to use it. The advantage is that seting these units up would literally take seconds since there would be no need to indicate the unit along the X axis. Something with integrated collets or replaceable collets would be best in that kind of holder.

Anyone know where to find anything along either of these lines?

Re: Ok geniuses, where do I find these tools?

Why don't you make the parts by yourself. You can buy blanks for some 150 CDN. In these parts you can drill your holes for the toolholders with ER20.

That's an option. Our shop is always strapped for time so its tough to take a day just to make tool holders. I guess in the long run it's an investment, so maybe if I can't find anything commercially I'll try making some of my own.