586,116 active members*
3,458 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question stepper motors not turning

Hey guys, I'm building a cnc router kit from cncconversionkit.com and have everything together. Was trying to test the stepper motors before mounting them on the machine, and can't get them to work. this is what I've got: 4 wire steppers nema 23. Checked continuity between wires and got a reading between red and green, and between yellow and blue. Got red going to A+, green to A-, yellow to B+, blue to B- on drivers (DM556D). Using 36 volt power supplies. From driver to breakout board (C10SR1.2-S1554-11), pul+ to pin com., pul- to pin 2, dir+ jumped to pul+, dir- to pin 3 (1st motor, others similar) All this is as wiring diagram shows. set up motor inputs in mach3 to match. 5vdc power supply, 5v+ going to 5v pin on breakout board, 5v- going to gnd. pin. Jumper from 5v+ to enable pin. Cannot get motors to do anythin when jogging with arrow keys. I will mention that when I firs hook these up, the stepper motors got real hot, but never turned. Drivers were set at default. I changed the dip switches to 3.2A, and 2000 puls/rev. Chart doesn't show what default was and I don't really know what they should be set at. I'm thinking I'm missing something somewhere but don't know what. Or else the motors burnt up on that initial power up. Hope not. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: stepper motors not turning

Can't you get any help from cncconversionkit.com ? If this uses a G-540, you might ask the folks at Geckodrive.com.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I'm getting ready to send them an email now. They're a little difficult to deal with. It took 5 months to get all my parts in. I had to keep calling and emailing them. The drivers are DM556D, not Gecko's and what little info I've found on them is just basically the dip switch settings. Thanks!

I found my problem! A jumper on the C10 breakout board, that sets com to gnd or 5vdc was set to gnd. Changed it to 5vdc and all is well!