586,409 active members*
2,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > SprutCAM 8 Roughing Waterline question

SprutCAM 8 Roughing Waterline question

Hello, I am running SprutCAM 8 Build 1.0 Rev 63896 x86

I have a strange question with regards to SprutCAM 8 Roughing Waterline operation.

First here is the part

Attachment 245214

NOTE: I did not pick the objects that I wanted SprutCAM 8 Roughing Waterline to machine, I just used the automatic function.

So I selected a .500 endmill for the Roughing Waterline operation, and ran the simulation.
    Attachment 245216

I then changed to a .375 endmill, and ran the simulation, but it did not mill the pocket
    Attachment 245218

I then changed to a .250 endmill, and ran the simulation, again it did not mill the pocket
    Attachment 245220

I then changed to a .125 endmill, and ran the simulation.
    This time with the .125 endmill it machined the pocket and cut some other features.
    Attachment 245222

Here is the SprutCAM 8 file:

Attachment 245224

Anyone understand why SprutCAM 8 Roughing Waterline is object selective based on cutter diameter?

David

Re: SprutCAM 8 Roughing Waterline question

David,
    I don't have SC8 so am not familiar with the Automatic function. However, I am very familiar with SC random bugs having used SC for about seven years. I suspect your SC8 unusual behaviour is just one of those things that happen with releases. New bugs maybe in the latest release, that might be replaced with other bugs in subsequent releases. However, judging on the relative fewer postings here since 8 settled down, SprutCAM the company may have improved their pre-release testing.

Like a few posters, I have stayed with a release of SC7 that isn't buggy for what I usually do, and because I haven't found a need worthy of the cost to upgrade. .

Anyway, I suggest you copy your post to Tormach or SC for their info. It's a nice repeatable bug that should be easy to rectify.
    Good luck.
    Bevin

Hard to say whats going on. I have noticed strange results if I try more then 1 of the same operations for example waterline rough with a 0.5 mill followed by the same with a 0.25 mill.
    this can cause some problems..
    Anyway a solution to any operation is to select the interior area and set as job zone and run operations then select exterior and set as job zone and interior as restrict job zone. This makes sprut generate complete paths for these areas and you have control over what and when and where it mills.
    hope this helps
    md

Not SprutCAM 8 but in 7 the same worked fine for me yesterday. I have no experience with 8.

I have had this problem with sprut 7 in the earlier versions, it also would not recognize safe height settings on certain size cutters, lthis was in water line roughing operations. I havent noticed this in the latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Hard to say whats going on. I have noticed strange results if I try more then 1 of the same operations for example waterline rough with a 0.5 mill followed by the same with a 0.25 mill.
    this can cause some problems..
    Anyway a solution to any operation is to select the interior area and set as job zone and run operations then select exterior and set as job zone and interior as restrict job zone. This makes sprut generate complete paths for these areas and you have control over what and when and where it mills.
    hope this helps
    md
    mike sr

I tried SprutCAM 8 Build 2.0 Rev 72377 x86 Release Date 01/04/2014, and SprutCAM 8 Build 2.0 Rev 74725 x86 Release Date 23/07/2014

Attachment 245330

The problem is still there.

I have SprutCAM release 9 installed but it is past the 30 days and it has Roughing Waterline grayed out.

David