586,125 active members*
3,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Epoxy casting questions

Hello, this is my first post here. I found this forum while looking for information on epoxy resin uses.

I am hopping to mold and cast some ABS RC car parts out of Epoxy resin and wondering what type of epoxy fillers would be best for my application. This is only for my personal use and not for any mass production.

There are a few gears that I would like to make but most of the other parts are things like shock towers, hub carriers, a arms etc...

I was thinking about using chopped carbon fiber or kevlar pulp as an epoxy filler but am open to pretty much any kind of filler that would work well. I unfortunately can not use carbon fiber cloth because the parts are to detailed. What do you think would be the best filler for this kind of application? would any filler produce a reasonable part out of casting?

Re: Epoxy casting questions

Any filler you use will increase the viscosity of the resin, making it flow poorly and tend to bridge over indentations in your mold. So if you really need to use it, you'll have to experiment to see how much you can get away with before it won't fill your mold adequately.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Epoxy casting questions

I highly recommend you take some time and go read all the information on this site.

Its very very ensightful

Guerrilla guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting