586,363 active members*
3,354 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need some help choosing laser engraver

Hello,
    I am looking to get into doing laser engraving and maybe some cutting. The cutting if done is not a high priority and would be just on thin stuff. I am not new to CNC. I have built 4 cnc routers and a cnc foam cutter. I want to mainly engrave on bone, deer antler, tortoise shell, wood maybe some soft stone. I need to be able to do small work, the largest piece I am interested in engraving would be 8x10 inch or smaller and I need to be able to engrave legibly in a nickel size circle. I have a small budget of less than $1000.00 to get this started and be able to do work with it.

Here's my question; given what I have described above can this be done? Do you have any machine recommendations? I am not afraid of used machines. I am now running two cnc routers, could one of them be fitted with a laser head? What problems are lurking out there I have not considered? What software is good and bad?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Ron

Re: Need some help choosing laser engraver

Ron,
    for the laser machine ,if below USD1000, should be the K40 on ebay , others then the used one maybe

A normal machine price should be around USD2000

Quote Originally Posted by foamcutter View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking to get into doing laser engraving and maybe some cutting. The cutting if done is not a high priority and would be just on thin stuff. I am not new to CNC. I have built 4 cnc routers and a cnc foam cutter. I want to mainly engrave on bone, deer antler, tortoise shell, wood maybe some soft stone. I need to be able to do small work, the largest piece I am interested in engraving would be 8x10 inch or smaller and I need to be able to engrave legibly in a nickel size circle. I have a small budget of less than $1000.00 to get this started and be able to do work with it.

Here's my question; given what I have described above can this be done? Do you have any machine recommendations? I am not afraid of used machines. I am now running two cnc routers, could one of them be fitted with a laser head? What problems are lurking out there I have not considered? What software is good and bad?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Ron
    Lucy Lee G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]