586,125 active members*
3,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Combine multiple drivers - Is it possible?

Combine multiple drivers - Is it possible?

Hi all,

If I have a 3 axis CNC with a 3 axis driver, and down the road, I want to add additional drives (attempt to convert it to a 5 axis, or just have a 4th axis rotation), could I purchase another 3 axis driver and combine it with my first 3 axis driver to potentially get 6 axis (I'm assuming that I would need to splice the parallel port cable to go to each driver)? Or would I need to replace my original with a 4-5 axis driver board? Would something like this only be possible with certain brands of boards, or would any brand work? Could I combine brands?

Thanks,

Re: Combine multiple drivers - Is it possible?

You will need a secondary parallel port. No splicing. It's not good to begin doing things that can give you trouble later on. So get a second parallel port in your computer, and run two 3 axis drivers that way. The only way to go.

Some Galil controls can control up to 8 axis using Camsoft CNC Pro.
    Others can do 4 axis control, like our BlueCNC4: using the Dynomotion Kflop controller.

Both these are real world motion controllers... not some parallel port controls.

There are multiple ways to interface these systems, to Motor Drives, and Motors... Stepper or Servo. DC or AC.

Your Questions are not very clear, nor is there any real description of what you have, or have done?

Maybe be more clear as to what you have, and what you want to accomplish...
    Robot & Machine Design - BLUECNC4, GreenCNC3, RedCNC2L, SilverCNC2; CNC Software!
    www.truemachinedesign.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - www.truemachineautomation.com

I am still very much in the design phase of designing my first machine and I haven't really looked too much into motors or any electrical components yet.

I am going to design for 3 axis, but am hoping to design it in a way so that I can add on at least a 4th rotation to the base plate or possibly try to upgrade it to a 5 axis machine (X, Y, Z, A, B). I haven't really looked too much into motors or any electrical components yet.

I was wondering that, if I was to purchase a 3 axis driver now, and in a year or two, decide to upgrade to additional axes, could I buy another 3 axis driver board (or even a single axis board) and combine the two, or would I have to replace the original 3 axis with a 4 or 5 axis board? If I can combine the boards, I am assuming that it would be more expensive in the long run to buy two 3 axis drivers, but cheaper up front. If I can't combine them, then I am thinking that I might go with a 4 of 5 axis board. A little more upfront, but I think cheaper in the long run.