586,409 active members*
3,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question HEDS-9100 encoder modul

Hi everyone! I've bought couple of HEDS-9100 encoder modules and the passing codewheels. They seem to be perfect for my purposes, they are compact and also cheap!

I've read the following in the manual of the modules:

- Output Current per Channel, Iout .-1.0 mA to 5 mA
    - Supply Voltage VCC Min: 4.5 Volts, Max: 5.5 Volts Note:Volts Ripple < 100 mVp-p
    - Load Capacitance CL : 100 pF Note: 3.3 kW pull-up resistor

In your opinion, is this 5mA going to be enough for a Gecko for example? Or do I have to wire in a pull-up resistor on Ch.A and Ch.B? Is the 3.3 kOhms maybe the right value? :idea:

Furthermore, I've enclosed a picture with electrical characteristics of the modules, on which you can see a second pull-up resistor value: 11kOhms + a small capacitor. Whare does this resistor and cap go? Does anybody have maybe a schematic for wiring in such a module?

Thanks for the help: Giorgio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heds9100.JPG  

Any ideas maybe? I hope someone has seen these encoder modules before.
    Giorgio

The "capacitor" they're referring to is the total capacitance loading of the line and/or device that you're trying to drive the with that pull-up resistor. It is NOT a physical capacitor you affix to the system.

If the capacitance loading gets too high, you can't drive the line at ultra high switching speeds.

By merely typing "HEDS-9100 encoder" into Google, I found over 706 references to this encoder. Surely, one of them should provide you with pin out and other integration info you need.

I have already the complete manual, pinout, and everything, its just hard to understand.

Thanks anyway.

Giorgio

What about the resistor values? Do I have to wire resistors anywhere? I don't want to blow up my modules. Thanks for any help.

Giorgio