586,094 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC supplies

CNC supplies

Is there a place to buy some materials to use in cnc work. I have seen signs made out of plastic. They are 1 color on the surface and a contrasting color under. as you engrave something it comes through. The under side in from what I have seen is white. Can or do any of you make your own boards. If you do would you share your method.
    Are there online places that cater to sign makers. Place to buy paint and things.

Thank You
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Re: CNC supplies

Sounds like you are talking about reverse-engraved Lamacoid, I use these and send a DXF or DWG drg to a local engraver, you pick the main panel colour, then when reverse engraved, the back is painted to whatever colour you want the legend to be.
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0195.jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thank you . I did find some of what I was looking for at Delvies Plastic.

Thank You
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

These guys are on Leary in Seattle:

Engraving Machines & Engraving Supplies

or you could try these guys in Redmond:

Engraving Machines & Engraver Supplies

You could also try places like Laird Plastics (near West Seattle Bridge and 4th Ave. S) for the stuff you see on that Delvies Plastic site.

For paints, it really depends on what kind of paint you are talking about. For wood finishes, I prefer using conversion varnish from Daly's in Fremont/Wallingford. Don't let the word "varnish" mislead you. Conversion varnish is a catalyzed lacquer style finish that can be purchased in clear and also colors. It is about as durable as a finish intended for wood can possibly get, but also sprays about as nicely as anything I've ever used. It is not for the amateur though, both from a health perspective and an methodology perspective. For other purposes, I use PPG automotive urethanes (similarly not for the amateur finisher) and NAPA lacquers (which I think may be discontinued, haven't checked in a while). Really depends on how you plan to apply the finish and what the purpose is though, so finish suppliers are not a one stop sort of deal.

I will be looking into this when I get some time. I like to buy when I can local.

Don

Don,you aren't throwing in the towel are you.You seemed quite upset the other day.Start a new thread and we can sift thru all that is giving you problems.Where are you at ??? Did you get BoB to download and work in windows 8 yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Don,you aren't throwing in the towel are you.You seemed quite upset the other day.Start a new thread and we can sift thru all that is giving you problems.Where are you at ??? Did you get BoB to download and work in windows 8 yet ?
    I did reinstall Windows and Reinstalled Bobcad. I could not open any of the files I made in the old one. So since I had learned a lot in the past year I found every old bbcd file and deleted them..I just posted a picture I made today.. I was upset and vented. I am old so I feel I have an excuse. As to am I quitting I was not taught how to quit. Maybe some day I will learn how. I did have a problem with this project that I believe is post processor related. Now I will go back to having fun pulling my hair out. OH wait I don't have any.

Don