586,493 active members*
2,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

program size limit

Hi Guys,

Not sure if anyone can help with this one but it's wirth a try.

I use a two axis turret mill for a lot of the stuff I make. For the most part it's good enough to make simple things by using the machines control but when I need to cut a complex profile I use some Cad-Cam software.

The trouble is the programs produced by this software are too big. The machine has a program size limit of 500 lines and I can't drip feed. The machine program is on a floppy disc in the back of the computer on the machine. Model is XYZ.

Any ideas?

Depending on how much bigger the file is you could either try to trim it down by removing un-needed code and moves and/or by using subs, or you could break the program into smaller pieces and send them/run them one piece at a time.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yeah I know what you mean, I do that already. For something that I'm liable to make again I create the toolpaths as single passes and depth cuts and then edit the program once it's in the machine by adding repeats using the sub routine function. It just gets a bit time consuming.

I had to replace the power supply in the machine's computer some time ago and whilst I had it appart I noticed that the memory can be doubled because there were 8 memory card slots on the motherboard but only 4 cards in there.

There must be some kind of limit in the control program that only allows 500 lines. I asked XYZ and they said, "buy a new machine of us". I then emailed the software manufacturers and they said, "It would be more expensive to modify the software than it would be to buy a new machine".

Somebody somewhere must be able to crack it open and do something with it. Or am I just wishfull thinking. :idea: