586,698 active members*
3,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper drive for Cylindrical grinder

First post so hello from Canada!

I'm a hobby machinist and several months back I bought a small J&S 1212 cylindrical grinder which has had the workhead motor replaced with a stepper motor. As I now have the rest of the machine about ready to run, I need to get the workhead running as well. I have some old Superior Electric drivers which I believe are large enough, but I doubt they will run the stepper smoothly enough to work well. No matter, I can upgrade with new drivers, but I would like to try these out. Here's some photos:

I have some documentation on the 230PT driver, but I'm not quite sure what the other box is. I suspect it's a driver as well. The programmer is there, not that I have any idea how to use it. I also got a couple 4.6 amp 24v power supplies, plus 3 of the little drivers in the last picture.

First, do I have the components needed to run the stepper? It just needs to run as at a couple hundred RPM - the stepper replaced a double belt reduction to a DC motor of 1/6hp.

2nd - any comments on what the last photo is? Seems to be a stepper driver of around 1/2 amp with some programming capability. Too small for my cylindrical grinder, but should be a good learning device.

Thanks for looking and appreciate any comments,

Wayne

Re: Stepper drive for Cylindrical grinder

Forgot to mention - on the set of 3 boards, the center board mounts on top of the left hand board. There was no documentation, just the boards, and a 9V wall wart packed nicely in a box. I got 3 of the boxes. They came from the remains of "Automation Systems Corp" who made the "Accumill 1201F, a tiny desktop engraver / mill. Here's a link to a video ASC AccuMill 1201F Desktop Mill Original video 2014 - YouTube
    Perhaps they are parts for their mill, I don't know. The rest of the drivers and the grinder all came from the same place. I probably should have done this in two separate threads though.