586,617 active members*
2,589 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > G41 & G42: Do you use them? Checking for Opinions!

G41 & G42: Do you use them? Checking for Opinions!

Greetings all,

I have used Bridgeport, Haas, FlashCut, Camsoft, CNCPro by Yeager, and others,... and in all my many year of experience from 1978 till now... I have always found that picking up my calculator and figuring my dim.'s and writting my GCode, to run where I want it to, or using a CAM Software these last years... has been better, than trying these offsets and getting errors and so forth. Some programs handle the code well, and others just don't like it.

I have my new software, BlueCNC4, which runs on the Kflop controller... and I have not been able to get the G41 and G42 to work inside a pocket? Only for outside of dim.'s.

Please give me some feedback... on your thoughts about its importance. Do you use it, or not?
    Robot & Machine Design - BLUECNC4, GreenCNC3, RedCNC2L, SilverCNC2; CNC Software!
    www.truemachinedesign.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - www.truemachineautomation.com

Re: G41 & G42: Do you use them? Checking for Opinions!

Greetings,
    I have always used compensation in my programs, and 99.9 % of the time I climb mill so G41 all the way!
    Can you post what kind of errors you are getting, if you don't mind my asking?

Rob

Rob,

Here is the code I have been playing with... this will run.
    But never on the inside of the sqaure.

In FlashCut for instance... I can use G41 or G42 and get it to run inside or outside... easy.

But here, with the Kflop... I can't seem to get anything but outside offsets. This is my quest... to find out why?
    __________________________________________________ ____

If I try to reverse the sequence order, which should make it run inside... so it was running in a pocket... it just won't. Gives "Concave error messages" and so forth.

Concave corner with cutter radius comp //If I change the code below to G42 Error: = "Concave corner with cutter radius comp"

I use CamBam... and it takes me about 2 minutes to do this pocket...as well I can easily get my calculator out and figure the path... but if this has this advertised function... it seems to me it should work? I do not believe it works, as it should.

So I hope someone with a Kflop and using its capabillities can test and tell me what I am missing here... or maybe it actually don't work?

In the earlier post, I actually got the Kflop board confused, buy trying to make this work... so I have spent 2 days now... attempting to get this to work, like it should.

Maybe these EMC2 guys just did not get this one right??? Again, maybe it is me...

__________________________________________________ ____

(G41 -01.ngc)
    G40
    G90 G54 G20 T1
    G43 H1 (Tool H# length comp On)
    G0 X-.5 Y0.250 Z.1
    G4 P1
    F10
    G41 D1
    G1 X-.5 Y.125
    G0 Z.025
    G1 Z-.125
    Y0
    X-1
    Y1
    X0
    Y0
    X-.5
    G40

G0 Z.1
    G0 X-.5 Y0.25

M2
    Robot & Machine Design - BLUECNC4, GreenCNC3, RedCNC2L, SilverCNC2; CNC Software!
    www.truemachinedesign.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - www.truemachineautomation.com

Cool Re: G41 & G42: Do you use them? Checking for Opinions!

OK,

Finally after two days of pain... have figured out how to get rid of the "Concave Error"...

First you knock you head against the wall... then you kick your dog... and get him to bite you... for being so dumb! Then you dig a little in the back yard of the EMC2... and I found the answer.

Inside, the corners much be programed with an arc... that is greater than the radius of the cutter.

Sounds simple... except that every control I have used... did not care about this. It took the cutter radius and did not run any closer than that.

Thus, you picked the cutter, and away you went. However... this method is somewhat better, because it does make you program the motion in... so you can take whatever cutter you have, less than that corner radius... and use it. It has a path.

Conclusion: Irritating, because in the documentation... did not find any cautions regarding this issue.
    Great: Because it does force you into doing a better job programming the pocket.
    Somewhat Bad: Because it does not think for you... you have to do the figuring.

In the end, yes, the functionality is there. Do I like it this way... my lazy side says NO... My brain side says, "I see why they did it!"

So now I know what to put in my instruction video... of how to use the G41 and G42... so to save anyone else, using my program, from having to spend two days to find out.

Ok, very happy with the performance of the Kflop Controller... Fast and Accurate... I am in love with it.

Thanks for looking, and listening to my pain.

I suppose you guys, knew this way back when??? I was infuence by the past programs I had used... and now my learning curve.

I this evening got the G41 to work inside a 1 x 1 square... with 1/4" Radius corners, and a 1/8" cutter....

Finally

I think the issue you're seeing is that KMotion was based on EMC, which is where the comp code originated from. Mach3 at one time had the same issue, as it too was based on EMC originally.

Any modern control should not have this limitation. However, if you do add the radius to inside corners, it must be larger than the tool radius, or most controls will choke on it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)