586,645 active members*
2,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LMS SX2 Spindle Rattle ?

Hi Guys,
    I have a rattling that I think is coming from the spindle. I've had the mill now for about 3 months and the rattling just started a couple weeks ago and is getting progressively worse. it starts at about 1500 RPM's and gets louder as it goes faster. I'm assuming that its the spindle bearings going but it hasn't seen too much use and bearings should last longer than this. So before I go order bearings and replace them, have others had this issue and was it the bearings or something else? Any thoughts as to what it may be? Better bearing suggestions? And how difficult is it to replace the bearings? I'm all little hesitant to pull it apart right now as before this started the run out TIR on the spindle was about .0005 and I'd hate to screw it up and make it worse. Although I haven't checked the run out recently, which I should probably do tonight

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
    Kyle

Re: LMS SX2 Spindle Rattle ?

you most likely just need tighten up the tension on the bearings , they need that sometimes , . You should have gotten a spanner wrench with the mill
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Thanks, I just checked it and it did need tightening, however it still is rattling. I also should have mentioned that when I first turn the spindle on there is a bit of a ball bearing in a coffee can type sound. perhaps since I let it go too long without tightening the bearings that they have now prematurely worn?

You should contact LMS and ask their advice if you haven't already. I've found them to be very helpful in resolving problems. --md

turns out the lower ring of the spindle pulley came loose. pressed it back on and all is good and LMS is sending a replacement pulley

Thanks
    Kyle

I can supply the bearings for your machine,with very good quality. Q Q : 178702120