586,362 active members*
3,452 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Northwood Fanuc 21i-M - Multi-Drill Spindle and pcmcia memory reader

Threaded View

Northwood Fanuc 21i-M - Multi-Drill Spindle and pcmcia memory reader

Hi everyone,
    I recently acquired an older Northwood model 58E which uses a Fanuc 21i-M controller. I've slowly read my way through the war and peace sized manual and have almost everything figured out but two things.

Main issue: The multi-head drill spindle. The individual spindles activate and quickly extend based on the correct m codes but they do not stay extended and instead retract as soon as they reach full extension. It uses individual solenoids for each drill spindle. For this machine m codes M101-M116 extend the individual spindles and supposedly using code M100 retracts all spindles. What am I missing as I assumed the extend m code would be given, the drill extends and stays extended and then you give the m100 code to retract the drill when you are ready? I can find very little information on the drills and it appears the previous owner of the machine did not use the drills as I looked through all the stored programs and none seemed to call those m codes.

Secondary, less important issue: The pcmcia slot next to the monitor looks good and was set to the correct channel and parameter settings, but it was unable to read any sized compact flash I tried with a pcmcia adapter. 512mb, 256mb, 64mb sizes. I tried with correct fat pc formatting as well. nothing. Machine just indicated there was nothing in the slot with the nothing in the machine error even when going into the maintenance mode on boot that allows for formatting. I'm currently drip feeding my programs into the machine but would love to figure out how to use the compact flash storage. Any ideas here?

I've attached pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northwood001.jpg   Northwood004.jpg   Northwood003.jpg   Northwood002.jpg