586,379 active members*
3,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First time engraver

Attachment 243542

The lettering in this part I need to engrave. The part is 1.6mm plate aluminium. I've never engraved before and ideally I would like not just the outline of the lettering but the entire letter engraved (the logo is approx 10mm high and 60mm across). What is the best bit for this? What depth should I go to and if anyone has done something similar with Solidcam, what operation did you use?

I see there is a 3d engraving option but I'm guessing that isn't it. Also speeds and pass information would be handy... Like I said, a complete novice

Thanks in advance

Mostyn Cafe n Customs Homepage Mostyn
    Cafe Racer and Custom Bike Builds and parts

Re: First time engraver

Hi Raf-1200,

The 3D engraving function in CAM is related to V-groove engraving/carving and it would work for this... but what you are describing sounds more like a Pocketing strategy is needed. Maybe start off with a large cutter to do most of the work and then there is usually a function that will clean up all the untouched inner corners with a smaller tool afterwards - often called Rest machining.

Feed and spindle speeds is totally dependent on materials being cut and tooling being used. I don't know too much about machining metals but Aluminum is very forgiving and easy to machine.

Regards