Hi, all! I have run CNC mills for years (mainly as a button-pusher, but my current employer is training me in programming). I bought a used Sieg X2 mini-mill on EBay quite a few years ago, and then found out it could be converted to CNC. I bought the FigNoggle plans, and have decided to try them out (my boss says I can probably come in on Fridays when there is no regular production work going on so I can use the company's machines to make some of the parts for the conversion).

This is the driver board I decided to go with, and one of my co-workers is giving me a couple of older PC's to use: 4 Axis Nema23 3 0A Stepper Motor USB Driver Board TB6560 USB CNC DIY Controller | eBay

I also bought a hand-controller to go with it.

I am trying to keep costs to a minimum. My ex-wife gets a large portion of my paycheck, unfortunately.

First, is there an INEXPENSIVE ballscrew and nut that I can use for the Z axis? The FigNoggle plans call for the following specs: .200 lead, 72" long, .625 diameter. and a 1.71" long opposing ball bearing nut. I am not looking for aerospace-grade accuracy, but +/- .005 or better would be nice.

I also need a way to control the backlash in the X and Y leadscrews. Due to costs, I would prefer to keep the original leadscrews, but they don't have backlash adjustment built in. Is there a way to retrofit for a minimal cost?

Also, what torque spec should I look for in the stepper motors? I will be machining a variety of materials, from plastics to non-ferrous metals to steel and cast-iron. I also know the higher the torque, the more expensive the motors will be.

Also, is anybody here familiar with this conversion, and can tell me whether or not the gas-spring I retrofitted to my machine can still be used, or if it will have to be removed?

I know I can upgrade parts later, but any help and advise I can get in getting this project off the ground would be very much appreciated.