586,317 active members*
3,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Image to G-Code for drilling

I'm looking for a program that would be able to take an image file (black and white) and convert it to g-code for drilling only. I've seen programs that will do the whole image but I just need to drill holes in a PCB. I want to set up a PCB mill so that when the PCB is clamped to the table a camera takes a picture of the orientation and aligns a black and white digital image of the hole layout to the board on the table. I already have someone making the image program for me, now I just need to convert the image into g-code to drill the holes. Does anyone know if a program like that exists?

Re: Image to G-Code for drilling

I haven't heard if this before.

It is easy enough to convert raster to vector (picture to geometry), this is included in some CAM software and you can also get free raster to vector software.

The problem you will probably have is that the resulting geometries are not true circles ie not made up of one circular geometry element. They will probably be splines roughly follow the bitmap image. Therefore you will probably not be able to select them for drilling in your cam software.

If your CAM or CAD software is able to convert splines to lines and arcs then you might be in luck. Set the tolerance quite low ie 0.5 mm and with a bit of luck you will then get a one element true circle that can be selected for drilling.

Hope it helps.