All,

I'm in the process of replacing the spindle bearings in my mill and I'm really confused about the lubrication of the spindle bearings.
On my mill there is an oiling system that pumps oil to the "z" axis ball screw, the ways and all of the other ball screws as well from a
main reservoir. From what I've read,the spindle bearings require a different lubricant than the ways but by the mills design this cant happen.

I have purchased the correct Timken bearings for the spindle which are unshielded and I have learned from research that they need to be packed
with the appropriate grease initially but how do the bearings continue to be lubricated after the initial greasing. ?

Since this mill has no spindle oiling cups on it, is it the design intent to lubricate the spindle bearings by gravity feed of oil that would "run down" from
the "z" axis ball screw oiling tube ?

Can someone explain the logic that Bridgeport had when they designed this system ?

If it is a gravity feed system to the spindle bearings, should I be using spindle lube in the main oil reservoir instead of ball screw and way lube ?

Just exactly what "head" does a Boss 5 "v" ram have - is it a "J" head , special "J" head ...... I cannot find out what the proper name for that head is anywhere ?

Ive also looked all over for assembly drawings for this head and cannot find them anywhere - any help here would be great

Thanks