586,717 active members*
3,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad and Solidworks compatibilty

Bobcad and Solidworks compatibilty

I've read a couple of posts that have mentioned Bobcad not working with Solidworks. Am I misinterpreting something here. I use Bobcad V20 and Solidworks 2004 at home, and at work I use Solidworks 2005 and Surfcam 2002. As long as I use the IGES format to import/export the file I'm working on between all three programs I have no problems. I am only sending Solidworks files to Bobcad and never Bobcad to Solidworks. Is there a backwards compatibility problem? I am doing mainly 3 axis pattern work designed with Solidworks and machined with Bobcad at home and Surfcam at work.
    Just curious here.

with bobcad version 21 you can open .sldprt but you can't save as a native solidworks file you have to save as .iges or .dxf bobcad will also open a parsolid,dwg,Rhino,Sat,Step

V21 may not open SW 2007. This is what I got on the BCC forum.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Bobcad, just like all other companies, has to get the format of a file type before they can make a translator to open it. SW and many others of the big expensive kind, are changing their formats because their proprietary format can be hidden from others or hold a trademarked for only so long.

When the format is open they change to a new format so they can keep it away from competition. These big bully companies like to keep the little guys away by using these tricks. The only way to change this type of bullying is to not buy their software. When they start hurting because they will not share files with other companies they will change.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Bobcad, just like all other companies, has to get the format of a file type before they can make a translator to open it. SW and many others of the big expensive kind, are changing their formats because their proprietary format can be hidden from others or hold a trademarked for only so long.

When the format is open they change to a new format so they can keep it away from competition. These big bully companies like to keep the little guys away by using these tricks. The only way to change this type of bullying is to not buy their software. When they start hurting because they will not share files with other companies they will change.
    One would think that making your software more compatable with other softwares it would be more disirable to a costomer. Nice to see they are working BUTT Backwards. It will make it easier for BCC to take everything over in the CAD-CAM Industry
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com