586,103 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cincinnati Sabre 500

i am looking in to getting my first mill and have found a CINCINNATI SABRE 500 at a good price. i was just wondering if any one could tell me if these are good machines it also has acramatic 850sx i never used one of these controls and was wanting to know how user friendly it is. any help would be great thanks

Thumbs up Cincinnati's

For a first machine? NOWAY. Their are major problems with the tool changers, tools getting stuck in spindles, and lots of annoying alarms. I have worked with both old and new. Cincinnati Arrow 1500 1995, Cincinnati Saber 850 1989 and one I can't remember which is a good thing. Cincinnati Acromatic Controls are very Powerful but also very picky. Not a good machine to buy for a first. Look for a used HAAS, Fadal, Hitachi Seiki, Mori Seiki, Enshu, or Matsuura (my personal flavor). Stay away from Mazak too. Mazaks are great when they are new. After a few years the way covers along with switches go bad. The best Controls are Fanuc and Yasnac.

All this is from personal bad experiences with crappy machines that employers wanted to make good parts with. Cincinnati's are way too much trouble unless you are a Machine Tech.

BTW; the machine I forgot was a Cincinnati Milicron
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thnaks for the info

Thanks fro the help i am wanting a HAAS for home to make my own parts but cant seem to find one in my price range which is low. I hear ya on the MAZAKs worked with them for almost 10 years and they are always having problem. Right now i get to use a hurco BMC-30 at work its an ok machine just dont like the control very much. but any way back to looking thanks again.

Leg't,

Let me know what type of price range you would like to stay in... I know where you might be able to locate a Haas...

Enjoy the weekend,
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Haas

Quote Originally Posted by leggetmachine
    Thanks fro the help i am wanting a HAAS for home to make my own parts but cant seem to find one in my price range which is low. I hear ya on the MAZAKs worked with them for almost 10 years and they are always having problem. Right now i get to use a hurco BMC-30 at work its an ok machine just dont like the control very much. but any way back to looking thanks again.
    What size HAAS for your Home? They make a VMC OF-1, I think. It runs 120V and will fit in a closet. Really made to run in an office which is why they call it an Office VMC. 8X8X8 XYZ. Nice little machine around $18,000-$21,000 new. CAT40 or smaller spindle. Not sure but it may have a 10 tool magazine too. It's listed on their website.
    :cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

HAAS size

I am looking into somthing aroundA VF-0 or VF-1 any of the Tool Room mills would be great I have also thought about the mini or super mini mills. any one those at the right price would be perfect but if i could find a bigger VF with the right price i would go for that too. the office mill might be ok but i dont know if it would be heavy enough it seems like a light duty mill. Have you used one?

Exclamation Machine Tools

Quote Originally Posted by leggetmachine
    I am looking into somthing aroundA VF-0 or VF-1 any of the Tool Room mills would be great I have also thought about the mini or super mini mills. any one those at the right price would be perfect but if i could find a bigger VF with the right price i would go for that too. the office mill might be ok but i dont know if it would be heavy enough it seems like a light duty mill. Have you used one?

The Mini is the better choice over the Super Mini. The Super Mini only has a few extra options compared to the regular Mini. Tool Room Mills aren't really made for any type of actual production use and they have a button that you have to hold down or the machine shuts down . The VF's are great as long as they were taken care of. One problem I found in shops is that the idiots were running the Spindle Break-In cycle to warm up the machine. This wouldn't be so bad if they had run the coolant too. The spindle has water vains connected to the coolant system to keep it cool. If you don't run the coolant during warm up it will cook the bearings. The guys in that shop weren't that bright. I'm talking about guys that drop tool holders on the floor and just slap it in the spindle as if it never happened Watch out when buying used as these machines are rarely taken care of as they are running all the time to make money.

I wish you lots of luck in your search, and hope it works out for you.
    Thankfully this Forum is Here. :banana:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I bought a Sabre 500 a few months ago. I agree that it is hard to get started on because of the poorly written documentation. I have bought almost $1000 worth of documentation, operating manual, program manual, all schematics, interface manual, service manual, parts manual, symvols manual, electronic maintenance, lubrication manual, control reference manual to name most of them. However I find it a very good machine with lots of capability. I am a new one at this business also. But I am getting some pleasing results with it doing wax machining for prog development.

This machine was never used for production, it was used by Cincinnati Technical College and not not beat up. I need more X travel so I am looking at the HAAS TM3 and I will trade this one in if they will take it or sell it maybe.

I am very new at this online forum stuff and not at all proficient herein. But I think I saw a place on this site where I can put my machine up for sale.

Exclamation cincinnati sabre 500 cnc milling center with heidenhain control operating manual

HI
    My employer recently bought a cincinati milacron Sabre 500 VMC with heidenhain TNC controller. but we don't know how to operate it with out a operating manual. How can I get the operating manual from ??
    please feed back to me as soon as possible
    My email is [email protected]
    thanks