586,395 active members*
3,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > what's suitable Stepper motor for cutting wood?

Question what's suitable Stepper motor for cutting wood?

what's the suitable stepper motor "Specifications i mean " which is powerful enough to cut in wood,glass,plastic ??

& what if will cut in marble ??

i want to safe & econimical one ... & thanks a lot :cheers:

I could be very very wrong, but I think they would all theoretically cut any material. The difference would be the speed they could cut at. Also depends upon the thread on the rods they are used with. I recall seeing an amusing post somewhere on the zone that referenced using a tiny motor to lift the pyramids in Egypt......just have to be geared WAY down and run REALLY REALLY REALLY slow!

Also, what exactly are you cutting with.....a stepper motor for a waterjet wont actually have to 'drive' anything through the material like a router would have to do with its cutting head. Likewise for a plasma cutter, the steppers would only need enough torque to overcome the weight of the gantry and friction.

I imagine cutting marble would be real slow....and need lots and lots and lots of coolant.....but not sure if marble can be economically cut without the likes of waterjet.

Maybe tell people how fast you need to cut each different type of material.

Sorry Im not more help.
    L8rs.

Are you looking to drive a dovetailed milling machine, a router going on linear rails, what?
    The big thing is what your setup is, this really dictates what torque is needed.

if i used a 3 ampere stepper Motor... is this enough for wood ??? & does the variation of motor tourque makes vatiation in Feed Rate ??? & if so how can i compute it ...thanks

hi
    motor from 3 Amps?
    we admit that they have a motor 2,8Amps , 260 oz = + / - 1,60 N/m "full step"
    the motors are connected to the cnc meccanical ax through lead screw step 4mm TPN 14mm diameter , bronze nut (the detent torque is +/- 305 kg !
    the force push => is 190 kgs (considering attritions launches , " bronze nut 0,5 efficiency"), resolution = 4mm /200 = 0.02 !
    in half step is 4mm /400 = 0.01 !

190 kg is enought brute force :boxing: for metal milling or turning , but all also depends on the weight of the ax,
    during the accelerations it is better to have a lot of power to move the ax with sweetness and greater speed, in particular way in half step mode.
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by SeQueNcer
    if i used a 3 ampere stepper Motor... is this enough for wood ??? & does the variation of motor tourque makes vatiation in Feed Rate ??? & if so how can i compute it ...thanks
    my steppers turn to 17000 step/s, my stepper drivers arrive to more than 50000 step/ses :- (