586,655 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

24" x 24" cnc plasma table needed

Hello,
    I'm looking for a small cnc plasma table, about 24" x 24". I need it mostly for cutting circles in 1/4 in steel. im am sick of doing it by hand with a circle cutter. I was looking at all the options, including making my own, but between all the electronics and everything else i would just rather buy one already made. does anyone here build these or know where I can get one on line? a little bigger is ok. my budget is about 2000.00 maybe 2500.00 but I dont need one of those 7000 dollar machines. Im not in a huge rush either so if there is a long building time or back log thats ok, I can wait a little bit. as long as I know there light at the end of the tunnel.( yes im that sick of plasma cutting) thanks. mike

ummm.... the only 24x24 I have seen was from torchmate.com, and it was still in the 4-5000 dollar range. You can quite possibly build one for less than that (minus the plasma itself), or have someone build it for you. I have an oxyfuel table (that will also run plasma) that I have way less than that amount in that I built myself,computer and software included in that amount. IM me if you need some more info, I will see how much I can help you out.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

What massajamesb said. I too, wanted to cut some brackets, and do it on the cheap. I built a 30" x 30" Oxy/Acetylene table for way under $2k (including the torch ) . Plasma could have been used as well. Some more info is here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...4&page=1&pp=15
    Unfortunately that thread keeps getting polluted by safety zealots.
    Pics of mine are here:
    http://www.accuratepower.com/Torch/
    Something I made with it is here:
    http://www.accuratepower.com/Rest/
    My thread is here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6923
    The table has been used a bunch by now. It cuts 1" plate easily, I'm sure it would do more. Be creative, and Good Luck, MIKE

By the way Mike, nice machine. Nice to see that something you built a few years ago is still a point of envy for so many of us. I believe it was your table that encouraged me to look into building my own, I first saw it on the Pirate 4x4 site. Good looks and simplicity, I give ya two thumbs up on it. :cheers:
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

Quote Originally Posted by accuratemike
    What massajamesb said. I too, wanted to cut some brackets, and do it on the cheap. I built a 30" x 30" Oxy/Acetylene table for way under $2k (including the torch ) . Plasma could have been used as well. Some more info is here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...4&page=1&pp=15
    Unfortunately that thread keeps getting polluted by safety zealots.
    Pics of mine are here:
    http://www.accuratepower.com/Torch/
    Something I made with it is here:
    http://www.accuratepower.com/Rest/
    My thread is here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6923
    The table has been used a bunch by now. It cuts 1" plate easily, I'm sure it would do more. Be creative, and Good Luck, MIKE

Nice pics, I have always been facinated by the manupulation of steel. and somthing that thick being cut is a sight to see.

As you have found, the size of the table is not porportional to the cost. If you just want to cut circles in flat (level) steel you just need a simple XY movement and a mechanical way to adjust the tip gap. No expensive THC or Z axis motors or electronics. The electronics for a two axis machine are pretty simple. For an area that size you can even use leadscrews and direct coupled steppers.

Take a look at this combo: Xylotex 3 axis stepper driver and 2 of his nice 296 oz-in stepper motors. Our inexpensive Mini-IO port one breakout and isolated input board (www.CandCNC.com) and use something like the Bishop Wisecarver V bearings for rollers with their matching rails. (www.bwc.com) There are some sources of low backlash leadscrews and nuts that won't break the bank. You do need to come up with a way to shield the leadscrews from the plasma dust that gets everywhere or consider using rack and pinion with a belt reduction on the motors to increase torque to the gantry.

Your 2000.00 is tight for any CNC project (even a simple table top engraver) so you will have to build it yourself.

The combination of MACH3 (159.00) and SheetCAM (159.00) are hard to beat. If all you are going to cut is simple shapes you can even get by without SheetCAM as long as you have a drawing or CAD program that will output a DXF of HPGL file.

For a little more money (once you have the motors, drivers and software the added cost of a table is just in the linear drive components and table construction) you might consider a 4 X 4 table. You will be surprised at what else you will find to use your table for and leave yourself the third axis option (Z) so you could add an integrated THC for MACH3. Campbell sells one for 350.00 and we sell a more advanced digital one for 695.00.

One advantage you have in building your own is that you can design it to be expandable and to add features in the future (if you choose the right software) and you will know how it works and how to easily fix it if it breaks.

Tom Caudle
    CandCNC.com

Thanks guys ! The torch table is certainly on my short list of most fun (and usefull too) things I have built. MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead
    As you have found, the size of the table is not porportional to the cost. If you just want to cut circles in flat (level) steel you just need a simple XY movement and a mechanical way to adjust the tip gap. No expensive THC or Z axis motors or electronics. The electronics for a two axis machine are pretty simple. For an area that size you can even use leadscrews and direct coupled steppers.

Take a look at this combo: Xylotex 3 axis stepper driver and 2 of his nice 296 oz-in stepper motors. Our inexpensive Mini-IO port one breakout and isolated input board (www.CandCNC.com) and use something like the Bishop Wisecarver V bearings for rollers with their matching rails. (www.bwc.com) There are some sources of low backlash leadscrews and nuts that won't break the bank. You do need to come up with a way to shield the leadscrews from the plasma dust that gets everywhere or consider using rack and pinion with a belt reduction on the motors to increase torque to the gantry.

Your 2000.00 is tight for any CNC project (even a simple table top engraver) so you will have to build it yourself.

The combination of MACH3 (159.00) and SheetCAM (159.00) are hard to beat. If all you are going to cut is simple shapes you can even get by without SheetCAM as long as you have a drawing or CAD program that will output a DXF of HPGL file.

For a little more money (once you have the motors, drivers and software the added cost of a table is just in the linear drive components and table construction) you might consider a 4 X 4 table. You will be surprised at what else you will find to use your table for and leave yourself the third axis option (Z) so you could add an integrated THC for MACH3. Campbell sells one for 350.00 and we sell a more advanced digital one for 695.00.

One advantage you have in building your own is that you can design it to be expandable and to add features in the future (if you choose the right software) and you will know how it works and how to easily fix it if it breaks.

Tom Caudle
    CandCNC.com

thanks tom for the helpful insight.

24" x 24" plasma table

I see one on ebay now. It's only at $450 now. Auction number is 280013641440. Thought it might interest you. Or at least you could get some design ideas from it. Descent pics of it. Good luck

If you really only need to cut circles, and small ones at that, why go CNC at all? It's very easy to make a gizmo that will cut the circles mechanically for a lot less than $2000.

Best,

BW

I found this on ebay tonight and it happens to be 24" x 24"
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-PLASMA-ROUTE...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the info

Im watching the auction now. I hope it dont go crazy at the last minute. Thanks for letting me know,

b.w.
    I need it for mostly cicrles but there are some other straight cut parts that im repetitvely doing also. I did however make countless jigs to cut circles. Including a motorized turntable, and stationary gantry. but I couldnt get it to turn slow enough. any potentiometer I used burned up. and I didnt know enough about electronics to fix the problem. I did think about buying sherlines 4th axis and using that since its already motorized and it would be perfect, but I think it would get destroyed after some use with all the dust and sparks

Miller has a mechanicle circle cutter attachment which works realy good. but its only as fast as I am, and in this heat --im not very fast.

massajamesb, your mailbox is full.

http://www.flashcutcnc.com/html/dow.html

MIKE

Thanks a bunch Mike, too many damm saved IM's. I will try that out. Thanks again Mike :cheers:

-RedGreen show.