Hi,

I know this isn't about foam "cutters", but it's close. Since I'm new I didn't know where to post this.

My name is Craig and I cast aluminum and brass parts as a side business. I have about 15 parts that I continuously reproduce (the biggest and most complex part is 20x6x6, but most are barely 1/2" thick, around 12"x4", and flat on one side). The process includes ramming up a mold with a pattern inside, removing the pattern, carving out the gates & sprues, closing up the mold, and then pouring the casting. The sand molds are always damaged when removing the pattern, and I can't reproduce parts with inside curves and super complex shapes.

What I'd like to do is start lost foam casting. It will speed up my mold making, produce better castings, and allow me to produce better parts. To do this, I'll need to buy a router setup and the software to run it. I'll also need the software to create the 3d sizes and shapes (CAD??) that will tell the router what to cut out.

I'm 33, have a corporate job, this side business, and a family. Spending the time researching what I need, and then building it probably isn't an option. I'm hoping I can buy everything ready to go and then figure out how to input the data for my parts. What do you guys recommend for a setup, and are any of you doing exactly what I described?

Thanks!!!
Craig