586,983 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Looking for a benchtop CNC for 12"x12"+
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Looking for a benchtop CNC for 12"x12"+

Hi, if you can consider direct importing from China then you can also consider from India.

Here's one I found made by TOOLCRAFT........it's a fixed gantry moving table, but has a QCT magazine and quite a big table.....can't give the specs as I only saved the pic, but as it's a fixed gantry model it'll cut ferrous metals too.
    Ian.

The Novakon Torus Pro, and Smithy Talon are the only true milling machine even close to that price range with anywhere near those travels. The Torus Pro travels are 25"X, 15"Y, 12"Z (with 5" min. spindle to table distance, so 17" max distance), and a 6K RPM spindle. A stepper machine is $11-12K delivered last I knew. $5K won't even get you close.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by carlowens View Post
    you are in the wrong forum, you seem to be looking for a cnc router, this is for benchtop milling machines.
    i suggested this in the very beginning which you dismissed. now that you seem to have come to the conclusion i made about a router you need to visit the router forums here if you want to get more in depth info, this forum is for milling machines.the router forums will have recs from users for cad/cam for their machines too.

Thanks all for the help! I ended up getting a router, so you were correct Carl. I learned I don't have enough money to mill the size parts I want to make, but I can route them. I got a Camaster SR-44 with a electro spindle. I should be able to cut AL when I get some experience.

!

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    !
    I did see your post in my inbox and you ask some good questions. I have not explained fully what I want to be able to do. True: I don't know exactly what all I will do, I only know some. What I'd like is a CNC machine with a big X-Y. I originally wanted a Hurco, until I discovered how much they cost, so I went searching for a cheaper alternative. Turns out you're not going to be milling steel of any large size for 10k (Hurco is 60k). I ended up going the router route because the large X-Y appeals to me more than to ability to cut steel. I have more large things I want to make than I do parts that must be steel. Downside of the router is the spindle is high speed and the frame is less rigid, so I will only probably be able to cut softer Aluminums, and that will be done carefully. Another important difference is no scales on the axes: meaning, no secondary position feedback (won't be as accurate). For me, I decided the router will give me plenty of capability. Camaster also looked good because it's turn-key. It comes with a computer and their support is great. I want to make parts, not build a CNC machine. I will build one from scratch some other time (with parts I make for it). I also did not want a 2 ton used Bridgeport that needs 3 phase and is 8 feet tall and could get retrofitted with months of work. For me, it has worked out well so far. The router came with entry level CAM software, and I'm making parts after only a couple days of learning.

Page 2 of 2 12