587,040 active members*
2,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese K40 laser, vector cutting with Moshidraw

I've been using my K40 laser for a couple of months now and have really got the hang of engraving. I'd like to do some cutting though now, and have hit a bit of a problem.

For engraving I just created the art work in Gimp, saved as a bitmap, then opened in Moshidraw. That won't work for cutting though, as it needs to be a vector image.

I thought it would be nice to make an acrylic window decoration for a friend; something like http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/.../pT5B69GTB.png , but I can't work out how the hell I'd do it. I certainly couldn't draw that by hand in Moshidraw.

Would using CorelDraw with the Moshi plugin solve my problem? I've managed to get the two linked (Moshi says 'CorelDraw succesfully linked'), but I can't see how I send something to the laser from CorelDraw (export? print?) Or will I still have the same problem? Someone else was suggesting SolidWorks. Would that work?

Re: Chinese K40 laser, vector cutting with Moshidraw

Ah hah, got it I'm not quite sure what I pressed, but a little floating Moshi toolbar has now appeared in CorelDraw. It gives the option to export to Moshi as either at bitmap or a vector. That's exactly what I needed, and it's all working nicely now. Thanks for your help

Please help me, i`m from chile and have one 40w co2 lasercut, whit moshidraw 2014 and coreldraw x5 and i can see the tools floating in coreldraw but when y press the explort button a visual basic "5" error happend and i cant bring nothing to the moshidraw that is so poor please help me 2 weeks with the machine and no cutting or engraving at all
    I would love the help please !!
    Thanks you

After i format my pc it works the connection between the 2 softwares but, now the machine randomly stops in the same spot always and in other time it cuts a diagonal line just by it self.
    I dont know is there a fix or somethin, i use the moshidraw 2014 i would love the help thanks

I seem to have the same issue. Has anyone found a solution?

Sorry for the Bump!

There is no real solution as some of the controller boards have issues with the communication.
    One thing that did make a difference for me was not to use the supplied USB cable but and old one I had left over from a printer.
    It had two ferrite cores on the cable and was triple shielded, also a bit shorter.
    On top of that I activated the hardware flow control for the com port the printer is connected to.
    But in the end I gave on the dongle and use an Arduino now to power my K40.