586,217 active members*
3,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam for Solidworks and Mastercam X7 compatibility

Mastercam for Solidworks and Mastercam X7 compatibility

Hey everyone, I'm requesting help for a problem I have when working with mastercam for solidworks and mastercam alone.
    The issue is as follows, I'm making a program for a solid made in solidworks with mastercam for sw, the reason is that I want to be able to modify certain dimensions if needed and keep the program without the need to make all the operations again. A coworker that works with me only has mastercam x7 in his computer, and sometimes he does modifications on the program. The main issue here is that i want to be able to change operations in mastercam x7 and get them reflected in mastercam for sw, doing that back and forward in mastercam and solidworks. Here is my question regarding this issue, Is there any type of archive (extension) that would let me open the same file in both mastercam stand alone and mastercam for sw?
    I have tried opening the .slwprt file, it just opens the operations but can not find the solid, i can fix that issue with no problem, the main problem is that i can't save the file back in .slwprt.
    Hope I made my self clear regarding the problem.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Mastercam for Solidworks and Mastercam X7 compatibility

Don't think there is a work around for this.

what would be the best solution? is there a way to update mastercam operations in the stand alone version if solid is changed?

Yes, but you have to modify the solid within mastercam and if you are only using faces of a solid, I think you have to reselect them. Not wonderful.
    X8 should improve this, in the way of modifying solids.

best way would be if you are using SW to design and you have MC 4 SW then use this to do what you want. as there is no way to go back and forth in stand alone MC and MC4SW and that does not make sense to do either.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .