586,926 active members*
2,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Replacing old Fanuc AC Spindle Drive with Delta VFD-E and Arduino

Hybrid View

Re: Replacing old Fanuc AC Spindle Drive with Delta VFD-E and Arduino

Hello I have find very good information here
    thanks a lot for share
    I just bought an hitachi wj200_55lf driver to apply on a Fanuc AC spindle motor A06B_0754-B20103000 but using lynux cnc as a cnc
    I hope to have it wired to made the firs try on january as soon I have some expiriences I will share
    best regards from Costa Rica
    Luis Rapso

Hi Lrapso, Yes the Delta drive can drive any voltage motor. The 230V is just the input supply voltage, but the output is set to whatever you want it to be in the Delta Parameters of the drive. You can drive a 50V motor if you want, or a 165V motor, etc. I only suggest this route if you are willing to part with a few more thousand dollars and a lot of time. After doing all this work I found out how easy it is to repair the old Fanuc boards and I actually have abandoned the retrofit for now. I found out all my problems were due to lack of knowledge on how to keep the Fanuc boards tuned up with all their analog voltage adjustments. Someone started a website where you can find and download manuals for Fanuc. I was able to find the service manual for my Fanuc AC Spindle Drive and adjust the variable potentiometers using my oscilloscope. If you have those tools it really is quite easy to tune a drive up. And if your good with electronics it's actually quite simple to swap out the transistors in the drive as well. You can find them for sale in a lot of places and it seems you can find even more used drives pulled out of old machines every day. Fanuc used surplus supply keeps going up and prices keep coming down. Hope that helps. I'm hoping to start a wiki on the projects I've done in the shop to document it further. While I am going to stick with the Fanuc drives for now, there is a lot of knowledge I want to share about how to keep them running.

Also FYI, you have to buy the correct input voltage drive if you want to replace it. So if your shop runs on 440, then you need to buy a 440V input drive, but it can still drive a 230V motor.

Quote Originally Posted by barchdesigns View Post
    Hi Lrapso, Yes the Delta drive can drive any voltage motor. The 230V is just the input supply voltage, but the output is set to whatever you want it to be in the Delta Parameters of the drive. You can drive a 50V motor if you want, or a 165V motor, etc. I only suggest this route if you are willing to part with a few more thousand dollars and a lot of time. After doing all this work I found out how easy it is to repair the old Fanuc boards and I actually have abandoned the retrofit for now. I found out all my problems were due to lack of knowledge on how to keep the Fanuc boards tuned up with all their analog voltage adjustments. Someone started a website where you can find and download manuals for Fanuc. I was able to find the service manual for my Fanuc AC Spindle Drive and adjust the variable potentiometers using my oscilloscope. If you have those tools it really is quite easy to tune a drive up. And if your good with electronics it's actually quite simple to swap out the transistors in the drive as well. You can find them for sale in a lot of places and it seems you can find even more used drives pulled out of old machines every day. Fanuc used surplus supply keeps going up and prices keep coming down. Hope that helps. I'm hoping to start a wiki on the projects I've done in the shop to document it further. While I am going to stick with the Fanuc drives for now, there is a lot of knowledge I want to share about how to keep them running.

Also FYI, you have to buy the correct input voltage drive if you want to replace it. So if your shop runs on 440, then you need to buy a 440V input drive, but it can still drive a 230V motor.
    Wow this changes things...I am sure my spindle motor DRIVE is alright, its just that the fanuc controller is damaged. How do I control the drive with relatively simple signals? Does it have some sort of 0-10v feature? I have attached a image of the drive... Kindly see if you can have a look.

THANK YOU

Wow, This sounds exactly like the same problem I had a while back. I was getting speed deviation errors. Turns out NOTHING was actually bad. Really......it was just adjusting 2 potentiometers on the Spindle drive while watching the oscilliscope. Once I learned how to adjust a few things on these drives, it fixed all my problems with this machine. I'd have to look for it (maybe I already posted it somewhere too?), but I am sure I have the manual for the spindle drive somewhere, and within that it has a description of how to adjust these 2 pots. Basically they adjust the width of the square wave signal coming from the motor so the drive has a good signal to work with.

The posts to hook up to are underneath that spindle orientation board. Just loosen the lower screws and it hinges upward. Under that you'll find a 0V post and the 2 other posts for channels A and B signals coming back from the motor encoder.

I use a $200 Handheld Oscilliscope. It does everything I need and more for what I do with these CNC machines, and the price is right. https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Poc.../dp/B006J4FZMO

There really isn't much you can do without the Oscilliscope though. Best investment period I have made for maintenance of my CNC machines. Amazon reminded me I bought it 6 years ago....it's still going fine.