586,847 active members*
2,308 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Feed G-code from Computer to 06 Haas VF2 for 3D Machining? Other Options?

Feed G-code from Computer to 06 Haas VF2 for 3D Machining? Other Options?

I've run into an issue with 3D machining that's difficult to circumnavigate. My primary 3D toolpath generation in Mastercam uses either parallel or constant scallop depending on the particular part... Of course loosening the tolerances to generate G18/G19 curves will cut down on file size, but I've run into a few parts that are simply too large to contain within a <600kb file, which is the max memory of the machine after loading the Renishaw probe programs (which are a significant inconvenience to take off and reload). The parts take up the entirety of the table and are 3D fairly well across the board... It's not a "Hey, look at my code and optimize it" situation...

I'm trying to solve the issue for the least amount of money possible, and wasn't sure what all of my options were. We installed USB -> Floppy converters a while back, which really only helped on the time taken to load each file on the USB drive, as the controller reads it about the same speed (obviously bottle-necked by the ancient ribbon data cable and processor). The software included can format a USB into 100 1.39MB partitions, which really doesn't help anything in this situation, as I can't even load the whole 1.39MB with the available memory on the machine, but that is installed already and if it can be used in the process to fix this, all the merrier. So here's a few questions...

1) Can I install an actual USB drive on the machine without trying to trick the machine into thinking it's a floppy drive?

2)A) Are there memory or chipset upgrades available for the machines from Haas?
    B) Anything third party that I can install myself? (I'm very tech savvy, and have built many computers... I'm curious whether the memory is soldered onto the chipset or if there's something I can connect it to. I opened the box and didn't see anything that screamed memory, so I'm assuming it's on the chipset)
    C) How much is Haas charging for chipset upgrades (obviously ballparkish)?

3) Is there a way to feed unfiltered G-code directly to the machine from my computer? If so, will this infringe on running program simulations?

4) Any other suggestions are very welcome!

Any help at all or links to hardware is appreciated... Like I said, I'd like to do this for as little as possible, but ultimately I need a way to run about 3MB of g-code through the machine, so however much it costs... it is what it is... Thanks...

Re: Feed G-code from Computer to 06 Haas VF2 for 3D Machining? Other Options?

3) Is there a way to feed unfiltered G-code directly to the machine from my computer? If so, will this infringe on running program simulations?

RS232? You can DNC (drip feed) large programs from your pc to the machine. You'll need a serial port on the pc and a cable and software. Not sure, but I think you can still run simulation.

If you do a lot of large programs like this (3mb is still pretty small) just bite the bullet now if Haas can add memory. You will be frustration free. We have networking on our little couple little Haas mills, nice option if available for one that old.

sent from me

underthetire, I have a couple questions, if you don't mind... Does the networking option allow you to "stream" code to the machine? To ask this a different way: If I had 600 KB of memory on the machine would the network allow the machine to run a 1.8 MB program? Can the program be transferred from a computer, or does it have to be streamed from another machine?

Basically, what I'm really asking is: if I own only a single Haas machine, and given that expanded memory and the ethernet port options are roughly the same price from Haas, would the network option basically negate the need for additional memory as long as I'm OK with storing and streaming my programs from a PC?

Are there any down sides to going this route in your opinion?

I believe it will, but not 100%. We don't run very large programs on the Haas since our Mori's hold 1 to 6 gig, and are much faster at 3d. I can try on Monday easy enough.

sent from me

The expanded memory probably already exists in your control.
    It is an option that you pay to activate.
    Contact your HFO and ask.