586,404 active members*
2,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > Hypertherm M65m mini machine torch on Powermax 45 power supply

Hypertherm M65m mini machine torch on Powermax 45 power supply

I call upon the wise and powerful hypertherm sage, jimcolt!

I have a pmax45 that I've been running on my cnc table with the hand torch for awhile.

I'm doing mechanical upgrades on the table, and in this batch of upgrades I decided to purchase a machine torch. I bought the M65m mini torch because it seems like it'll be easier to mount and more stable, and I don't need the big long rack body. I also bought one of the 65A consumables kits for it.

I haven't been able to find definitive evidence that this torch works with the pmax45, but at the very least the connector is directly compatible.

I very quickly plugged it into the power supply and tried to fire it using the existing wiring/code. I got air running through the torch before I even attempted to fire it, and firing it from my linuxcnc console didn't seem to do anything.

jimcolt, can you at least confirm that this torch will work on my 45a power supply and I'm not barking solidly up the wrong tree?
    Ian

Re: Hypertherm M65m mini machine torch on Powermax 45 power supply

update: it does seem to fire from the machine interface, but not from the internal connections which previously fired the hand torch.

I have a CPC connector on order for the machine interface; going to have to rewire everything.
    Ian

The Duramax torch as used on the Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems will plug into a Powermax45 and will operate. If it is a machine torch it will only operate if wired through the CPC connector, if a hand torch will fire only with a trigger switch. The Duramax is not recommended for use on the Powermax45 as the timing of the Powermax45 current ramp-up is not optimized for that torch.....you will not achieve the consumable parts life that we advertise when that torch is used on the 65, 85 and 105 systems. If you continue to use it....use the 45 amp shielded consumables for best results.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by tmbg View Post
    I call upon the wise and powerful hypertherm sage, jimcolt!

I have a pmax45 that I've been running on my cnc table with the hand torch for awhile.

I'm doing mechanical upgrades on the table, and in this batch of upgrades I decided to purchase a machine torch. I bought the M65m mini torch because it seems like it'll be easier to mount and more stable, and I don't need the big long rack body. I also bought one of the 65A consumables kits for it.

I haven't been able to find definitive evidence that this torch works with the pmax45, but at the very least the connector is directly compatible.

I very quickly plugged it into the power supply and tried to fire it using the existing wiring/code. I got air running through the torch before I even attempted to fire it, and firing it from my linuxcnc console didn't seem to do anything.

jimcolt, can you at least confirm that this torch will work on my 45a power supply and I'm not barking solidly up the wrong tree?

Copy of previous poste deleted.

The Duramax torch as used on the Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems will plug into the Powermax45 torch receptacle and will fire and cut. Hypertherm does not recommend its use on the 45 because the timing and amperage settings engineered into the ramp up (torch starting) are not optimal for the Duramax torch....the result will be shorter than expected consumable parts life. To fire the machine torch on any Hypertherm Powermax unit....you must interface through the CPC connector....this is for safety reasons. I suggest using the 45 amp shielded consumables for best performance.

Jim Colt Hypertherm