586,154 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motors not turning?

Got a CNC controller from a vendor, loaded up Mach3, configured Ethernet stepper, communication is fine, motors plugged into the G540.

When I power it all on, the motors have a low hum. I load Mach, select the ESS driver, it loads, I then hit reset, load G-code and run it. The G-code runs but the motors never move. Tried vendors xml as well as Geckos XML. Pins are all 2,4,6 for x,y,z and even if they were mixed up something would turn. Even tried odd numbers for one axis. They wont jog either. I adjusted steps from 200 to 20000 and changed acceleration as well. Nada.

Any idea what else to check? Firewall is disables and not monitored on XP. Can't possibly be this tricky.

Re: Motors not turning?

Do the motors lock up when you power up the controller, or are they still loose? If the axes can still move, then the motors aren't getting power. If they are (which it sounds like, if they're humming) then it's a communication problem, probably due to the Smoothstepper's IP address not working. What does your vendor say?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Yes well we are working through it with in email the usual "I must be doing something wrong schtick".

Anything I can do to get the smooth steppers IP working aside from entering it in the pop. It records it in the XML? Anything else I can do.

Update, turns out there is not much more to it than enabling it in mach and running it. I replaced the ribbon cable from the ESS to the G540 and it worked instantly.