586,124 active members*
3,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Any Interest in Pwm Spindle motor controller boards?

Any Interest in Pwm Spindle motor controller boards?

I have been doing a lot of work researching and designing a new PWM motor controller board for use with universal type motors. in my case specifically the Dremel tools, but any universal motor can work.

I currently have a PWM system built and a dremel tool modified with the internal speed controller removed and the PWM system wired to the dremel tool and it works fantastically! I am now working on an optically isolated version to make it safer. I am also working on a speed feedback system as well.

I have been considering offering some version for sale if there is enough interest.

Versions that might be of interest would be:

1-basic - manual control with opto isolation of control circuits from the AC line. for dremel and trim routers etc. maybe a max of say 5 amps???

2- Med - manual control with speed feedback. same as above with feedback system

3- full bang - microcontroller control of speed. PWM and Step/Dir signal inputs, speed feedback, controlled start up and shut down. etc.

I could sell them as board/kits or full finished products if there was more interest one way or another. also possibly full kits with modified dremels etc.

Zc

PWM controller

Sounds cool. What amps, volts and prices are we talking about.

well. I don't have all the details worked out yet.

But the PWM controller would run off of 120Vac and provide 170vdc to the PWm circuit and would be electronically limited to 70% to = the 120V line so as to not run overspeed. but will have some headroom for high loading. I could probably do 5-10 amps easy enough. if there was particular demand for higher current or lower voltage etc that is easily do able.

the basic controller would be priced about $99 for a finished controller and maybe $50 for a kit

The advanced controller would probably be $299 and I am totally guessing and tossing these numbers out there. A lot would depend on what the total cost would end up being. cost plus $20 or something.

Zc

A few years ago I picked up a surplus Universal motor and controller, the controller was built around the TDA1085 IC, originally meant to control washing machine motors.
    The motor had a very simple (crude) pulse wheel feedback, I was very impressed with the performance, especially low speed for band saw use.
    It also has current limit built in etc.
    It can be used with a Triac to control the motor with AC or fire into a bridge and use the motor in the DC fashion.
    Mine was designed in latter style, In DC mode.
    Once designed, it could be much cheaper to produce, maybe.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Any Interest in Pwm Spindle motor controller boards?

Hi,
    I would be interested. It's been a while since you last posted here. Are you still working on/with this?