586,094 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vise stop question

Hi, I was looking for one of those stops that mount on the back of the jaw...then I saw this

Set of 2 Machine Shop Vise Stops for CNC or Manual Mill Vise Low Profile | eBay

I'd have understood if the description says something doesn't quite make sense for me.

"This lets you machine the edge of any part right down to the jaw.

These are very useful in any kind of set up where you do not want to hit the stop itself with your tool."

can someone pls explain?

Re: Vise stop question

The actual stop is the small pin near the bottom. It sits below the top edge of the vise jaw, so it does not interfere with any tool that can fit between the workpiece, which is aligned to the end of that pin, and the clamp blocks of the stop, which do sit above the vise jaw. The 4th photo makes it pretty clear.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I have a set of similar (nicer finished) ones I think from edge technologies. The standard ones rest against the part so you can only cut as deep as the part extends above the stop.

With the pin setting below the vise top you can machine down to the vise top all the way around the part IF the tool is smaller diameter than the length of the pin since there is clearance.

These are useful for aligning two small parts in a single vise set up, one to the left and one to the right. Rarely do I ever use them because they eat up a lot of vise width, but for certain jobs they are great.

I prefer 5 axis stop since I can position anywhere I want even 0.03 from the bottom of the part.

Another concept is the Kurt style vise stops I've used on the glacern vises. They clamp to the jaw but still set above and need planning.

I have the ones that bolt to the back and have an arm that comes forward and another that you adjust (tormach sells some too) which are the most useful to me aside from 5 axis because you can replace the third (parallel to X axis) arm (usually a threaded rod) with any length needed and you have your whole jaw width available if u need it, or you can center a small part and use the longer arm to reset parts after machining.

All have their place.

Brian
    WOT Designs

A lot of times I will use a 1/4 inch pin in a holder. All you have to do is make a simple G code program then you can leave as mush stock on the end of your part as you'd like.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Great advice Steve! I totally forgot about that one! I've done it with my edge finder body but never actually with a pin. Better idea

Brian
    WOT Designs