586,395 active members*
2,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Manual tool change and tool table help needed please

Manual tool change and tool table help needed please

OK I have been spoiled with all the large machines that I have ran over the years at work. They all have ATC and its a no brainer . So I got a mill from a user here back in April and it has Mach 3 . I have been reading up and reading up and want to make sure that I am correct here .

in my post I will need to have a G43 h# like any other post correct ? Also make sure that I have the Z high enough to clear the work piece. I think that's all figured out . now to the part I have the main issue with Mach 3.

I am so used to just picking up my Z height and calling out the Z for the job on the big machines . is this the same in Mach 3 ?

call out tool number pick up the cutter off of a 1-2-3 block with the correct Z in the gage block entered in . and so on with each cutter from there on in the correct tool number of course .

now as far as the tool table. Do I need to get a tool # 1 length ? this is the part I do not understand ??

Re: Manual tool change and tool table help needed please

Hey Learn;
    There is a great two part video on you tube (and maybe at their site) presented by Tormach that does a great job of explaining tool setting. They do a step by step presentation.
    Hope this helps.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Learn;
    There is a great two part video on you tube (and maybe at their site) presented by Tormach that does a great job of explaining tool setting. They do a step by step presentation.
    Hope this helps.
    Bill
    ok so I have a NMTB 30 s where would I measure from the tip of cutter to the base of the holder where the taper ends ?

Learn;
    I'm trying to assist without much knowledge so this is more food for thought since I've never used anything other than R8 and TTC. But........... if I understand the video, you need to manufacture a tool holder that sits on your reference block that will accept all of the NMBT 30 holders and reference them at the same level. You should take a blank holder and install a dial indicator upside down into a spare NMBT holder and use it as your zero reference tool. This tool will always be used to set your z axis top of part. Using the procedure in the video proceed just as they show by first setting the zero on the dial tool then measuring the height of all of your other tools. Those values will be placed in the Mach tool table just a the video shows.
    Again, I'm just trying to help and if the NMBT30 tool holders are different so that they will now allow this procedure, well, again, this is just food for thought.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

I will have to test some things out . I do have a tool setter for work that has a dal indicator in it ( 4in Gauge Length ZeroSetter ) ill watch the videos again. thanks