586,898 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Another Ryan's Build Thread (CX600)
Page 1 of 2 12

Another Ryan's Build Thread (CX600)

Hey Guys,

First off I have to thank everyone for all the direction I've received through reading various posts and threads. I would be totally clueless if I didn't have a forum like this with a wealth of peoples experiences shared.

So I thought it would be only fair to do a few posts showing my build progress.

I've bought the Canadian version of the G0704, the CX600 from Busybee. I know this machine has a smaller table when compared with the G0704 but I don't mind. I'll be using this machine for smaller aluminum parts, and I have access to a larger machine shop if I ever need to make anything that wont fit on this table.

Here are my plans for the machine:

3 axis CNC control using servo motors.
    Gecko Drives, Ethernet Smoothstepper, housed in an enclosure mounted to the back of the machine.
    Ballscrews on all 3 axis
    Counterweight-chain mechanism to balance out the z axis head
    Upgrade the spindle motor "hoss style" with a treadmill motor.
    Some formed coverings similar to Ryan's thread, but no enclosure.

Possibly in the future.

A drawbar mechanism, although I don't want to put air in my basement
    Embedding a smaller motherboard into the control enclosure and having a dedicated computer for the machine.

I'll try and keep some more posts rolling in.

cheers,

Ryan

Re: Another Ryan's Build Thread (CX600)

Ohh, I like to 3D model everything.. so here is a 3D model I made of my machine including the ballscrews, servo motors and preliminary covering ideas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX600 - 2.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	437.0 KB 
ID:	280614

Here's a section view of the Y and Z axes.

I'm using double-nutted ballscrews from linearmotionbearings on ebay. They're on order now, and should be arriving in the next few weeks. Once these arrive the fun will start!

Attachment 280616

Some things I've tried to achieve:

I wanted to move the Y motor to the back of the machine so It wouldn't interfere with access to the front of the table.
    I've put double ballnuts on all three screws, We're going to need to do some pocketing to make these fit and still get full travel.
    Added support on the floating end of the z-axis screw using an internal bracket.
    Having the ability to still use the handwheels, although I doubt I'll attach them.
    Sealing off the the servo motors using coverings.

cheers!

Does linearmotion offer a stacked ballnut like you have modeled? Or are you using 2 flanged ballnuts with some fancy trickery?

I just got my MC60 treadmill motor set-up running under CNC control. If you haven't already planned it out, I highly recommend the MC60 controller. It was a breeze to automate once i got off my butt and did it.

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Does linearmotion offer a stacked ballnut like you have modeled? Or are you using 2 flanged ballnuts with some fancy trickery?

I just got my MC60 treadmill motor set-up running under CNC control. If you haven't already planned it out, I highly recommend the MC60 controller. It was a breeze to automate once i got off my butt and did it.
    I've already ordered a KBMM-125 from Galco Industrial as the speed controller,
    and found a (M-215403 2.6HP 95VDC treadmill motor) I think its branded as "TUV SUD" on ebay for around $80

I'll take a look at the MC60, I could always use the KBMM-125 on my little lathe in the future. Are you controling your motor solely in speed mode? Or can you have your motor follow position trajectories (like for rigid tapping)?

As far as I know linearmotion is shipping the stacked ballnuts with the preload spacer sandwiched in between them. I had him make machine the end of the screws to my specs, and his price was very cheap. Hopefully when they arrive the quality is decent.

If he does supply two separate nuts I'll have to re design my brackets significantly, but I think it should be okay.

I have a gecko g540 running the MC60 in a "speed mode".

Linearmotionbearings supplies proper double nuts (not two single nuts)
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Linearmotionbearings supplies proper double nuts (not two single nuts)
    Here they are, just arrived this morning after about a 2 week wait. Pretty impressive considering the price, and custom end machining and being in china!

Attachment 280800

Attachment 280802

I do notice some grit in the motion of the ballnuts. I'm going to unpack the balls in one of them and see if I can clean up the screws.

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    I have a gecko g540 running the MC60 in a "speed mode".
    Ahh, I didn't do much research on this drive considering I'm using servo's instead of steppers. It's nice how they have all 4 axes integrated into one enclosure. I wonder if Gecko will ever do the same sort of thing for their G320x's that I'm using on my servo motors.

Results of my weekend machine shop bender...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150524_143655.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	281214

Now to pocket out the machine for the ballnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by tibolt94 View Post
    Ahh, I didn't do much research on this drive considering I'm using servo's instead of steppers. It's nice how they have all 4 axes integrated into one enclosure. I wonder if Gecko will ever do the same sort of thing for their G320x's that I'm using on my servo motors.
    The closest thing to the G540 would probably be this heatsink with 3 G320X's on it. http://www.geckodrive.com/heatsink.html

Although its only 3 channel and overpriced, it is pre-drilled and tapped. I found it very convenient for my G320X's.

Regards.

Steve.

Y Axis ball screw fit to the machine. I've decided to have the motor mounted at the back of the machine.

Attachment 281780

The alignment of the Y axis lead screw bore is quite shifted on my machine, It measured a good 8mm off centre.

Attachment 281782

My X and Y ball screws were reasonably straight, but the Z screw had a considerable bend. I had to mount some wood blocks onto our arbor press and carefully straighten things up.

Attachment 281784

Here is my spindle head spring assist installed. I was inspired by this guys work milling machine modifications, part __? | design & make

That sure looks like the strut will run out of travel before the head gets to it's lowest point of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    That sure looks like the strut will run out of travel before the head gets to it's lowest point of travel.
    It sure does come close, I think the total travel on the gas leaves about 0.5 inches to spare.

I also haven't machined out the centre slot on my column to increase Z travel.

I've skipped quite a few steps to get to this point.
    Here is my mill making its first G code pass.. a G02 with a sharpie!

The circle looks decent.

Attachment 285668

Here is my control box, almost finished.

I wish I had made this thing about 6 inches larger in each direction.. fitting everything in was a pain to say the least.

Attachment 285678

Nice work Ryan. I have one thought, it looks like your saddle with hit the front y-axis bearing block. My saddle goes past the front of the mill base.

Quote Originally Posted by gcofieldd View Post
    Nice work Ryan. I have one thought, it looks like your saddle with hit the front y-axis bearing block. My saddle goes past the front of the mill base.
    Yeah, you're right! I didn't even think of that.

Right now I have +/-2.5" of travel in the Y, I could probably squeeze out another 1.5" or so by lopping off the sides of my end plate.

I've also seen extension blocks between to vertical column and the bed to gain travel out the back of the machine.

I'm not overly concerned with getting too much extra travel, I have access to a larger CNC mill if need be.

First milling, works like a charm!

Attachment 285986

Page 1 of 2 12