587,045 active members*
3,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PDBar Collet opening diameter

I have a question concerning the power draw bar. If you have a PDB, I would be interested in knowing what the inside diameter of the collet is when in the open position. I measured mine with a telescoping gage and micrometer and measured it at .755 when open.

Would appreciate you sharing your measurement if you can. Thanks

Re: PDBar Collet opening diameter

Trying to understand what you need here.
    The tool holder collet is sprung and it should measure a little over a tts holder size when the taper is not engaged in spindle neck.
    Measurement when collet is setting on bench or in machine disengaged should be same.
    And only change when pdb spring washers pull it against taper.
    md

This deals with the holding torque when the springs close the collet vs opening diameter and working with the ATC.
    I am only asking the community to provide me some information if they would please.

WHO CARES how big it opens? All you really need to care about is "does the collet open enough to get my tool in or out. Mine does, so that's all I'm concerned about.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

My TORMACH R8 collet measures .754 at rest.
    My BRIDGEPORT R8 collet measures .753 at rest.

Not sure what value that measurement would have. It's certainly not a controlled dimension, so different collets will measure differently, and there's not even any guarantee all of them will "spring" open to 0.750".

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks Russ. I appreciate your assistance.
    The only person that didn't have to add comments.
    By the way when discussing this with Tormach they fully understood the reason for asking RIGHT AWAY and promptly measured theirs and called me back.

.755 to .757

What this all means is that when my collet is fully retracted, which is controlled by the draw bar and the torque of the compressed springs, and I am getting max holding force; when opened I am still opening the collet to its full amount which allows the the best access to drop the collet when returning the tool to the ATC and have max opening and clearance when it picks the next tool from the ATC.

Quote Originally Posted by LRF View Post
    Tormach they fully understood the reason for asking RIGHT AWAY and promptly measured theirs and called me back.
    but do you know which collet they measured the #32086 or #32087?
    Step

Thanks Russ. I appreciate your assistance.
    The only person that didn't have to add comments.
    By the way when discussing this with Tormach they fully understood the reason for asking RIGHT AWAY and promptly measured theirs and called me back.

.755 to .757

What this all means is that when my collet is fully retracted, which is controlled by the draw bar and the torque of the compressed springs, and I am getting max holding force; when opened I am still opening the collet to its full amount which allows the the best access to drop the collet when returning the tool to the ATC and have max opening and clearance when it picks the next tool from the ATC.
    That's great they had what you needed.
    I only asked because I cant measure what you want without 2 people to do it. 1 person to press button and 1 person to measure the collet when its sprung. or did you want the measurement from the bench, reason I asked.
    Might need some anti-seize applied per tormach white paper on collet maintenance.
    md

I asked because you appear to be irritated by some of the comments but IMHO you didn't sufficiently describe what you wanted and why.
    @md doesn't your PDB Pendent have 2 buttons?
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I asked because you appear to be irritated by some of the comments but IMHO you didn't sufficiently describe what you wanted and why.
    @md doesn't your PDB Pendent have 2 buttons?
    Step
    It does have 2 buttons but only 1 function!
    As far as I know it only releases as long as you hold button. no button press no release or do I have something wired wrong?
    How does yours work?
    md

Edit. I just went and check and it has a lock and release button. lock has no function only release.
    This is a single function solenoid valve. press button and it operates air cylinder ram release button and ram releases to a locked state at all times.
    and there is never a unlocked state.

I press and HOLD the release button and then press the lock button. When both buttons are released the collet remains open. Press the lock button again and the lock releases - the collet then retracts. If it doesn't work you should contact Tormach because I find this feature very useful (but not particularly easy to use).
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I press and HOLD the release button and then press the lock button. When both buttons are released the collet remains open. Press the lock button again and the lock releases - the collet then retracts. If it doesn't work you should contact Tormach because I find this feature very useful (but not particularly easy to use).
    Step
    Where does it explain this at I must have missed this in the directions somewhere!
    wow I just went and tried it and it does trip it closed and in open or unlocked position.
    I can save a cycle by doing this

Edit . now I see I can use a foot peddle and the lock button combo and this would be a much better system!

Thanks much
    md

Read the PAPER manual that come with pdb It states this clearly and I missed it I guess.
    90% of the time I tend to read and research electronic material and there is 0.00 of this on the pdb... my bad should have looked over the install paper a little better.

I find using the foot switch to open the PDB frees both hands for easy manual tool change.

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I find using the foot switch to open the PDB frees both hands for easy manual tool change.

Don Clement
    Hey Don,
    Cant believe I didn't read this part of manual when I installed the pdb a couple weeks before the mill had power. And just assumed it was for atc.
    Now that I understand the full function of this device, lol 5 months later. I see where I can step on foot switch, remove tool and lock open with button press. "in 1 motion more or less"
    This will help me a great deal as I have very limited dexterity in my fingers.
    Before I was cycling the pdb 2 times for every tool change this will cut 1 cycle out and save some wear on machine and me.
    md

I haven't used my footswitch for more then a year as I use my ATC for all tool changes. However as a matter of course I never let the collet close without a tool holder in the spindle. Like at the end of the day shutdown. I have no idea if it actually matters at all but I just don't like my collet over compressing if it doesn't close on a tool holder. Again I'm not saying its good or bad I just don't do it.