586,740 active members*
2,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electronics Advice Needed

I am building a large CNC 1.8x1,5m frame. 6foot x 5foot. The frame is sorted and very sturdy.
    I would like to cut Plywood in large sheets and also do some small aluminum parts if that will work.

Leadscrews: HFB Gewindetechnik Shop - Altdorf / Stuttgart - Trapezgewindespindeln und Trapezgewindemuttern - Trapezgewindespindel 2000mm Rechts TSR-Tr12x2

The long axis will have a lead screw and direct drive stepper on both sides. The other two axis only one motor each and the same screw.

Controller: TinyG (all in one controller including 2.5A power supply per motor) They say it will run Nema 24 motors.

Now the big question:

Which motors should I use? It would be awesome if I could run Nema24 motors directly from the board without external drivers. I head opposing opinions on this.
    Do you think they will be powerful enough?
    If not, should I go for Nema34s with external drivers? Or use 2 Nema 24s for the dual axis and Nema 34s only for single motor axis?

And then, what power supply should I get, since the TinyG runs from 12-30 Volts.

Re: Electronics Advice Needed

Your machine is going to be painfully slow with those screws.
    How fast do you want to be able to cut at? That and acceleration rate are the main deciding factors when choosing motors.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have no idea Gerry. What speed is a good rate? I thought I rather make it slower if that saves money and makes it more precice. I´ve build a 3D printer 2 years ago and I am used to 15hour prints.

I could use 12x6, that would give me about 0.03mm steps. But then it would also have much less torque.

The tinyg is far too wimpy for a machine that size. You need at least 4 amp motors and a tb6600 or thb6064 based driver.

Why are you against just using drivers?